Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death certificates for war deaths. Where do you apply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death certificates for war deaths. Where do you apply?

Has anyone ever applied for the death certificate of someone killed in battle?

I've just found the death registration details on Find My Past for my great uncle who was killed in WW1 in France. I already know when and where he died but I would quite like to have a copy of his death certificate.Where would I get it from? The volume and page numbers aren't in the usual format and,of course, there is no registration district nor a quarter, only a year. Do I apply to GRO in the normal way?

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I got my uncles from the findmypast details and just did what it said on the image page it came okay good luck

Comment

Probably similar to marine deaths, where there's just a year and a page number.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have two both of which I got via the GRO

When you go to the page where you select the certificate type tick the button next to "For overseas events which were registered with the British authorities"

say yes for "GRO reference known" and fill in the year

You eventually get to a page where the only required information is Forename and Surname and then just one box to fill in your reference

This also applies for anything in the War Death Indexes that happened in the UK

e.g. my great grandfathers brother Sidney was injured in the Boer War and bought back to England to a military hospital in Nottingham where he died. His death is indexed in War Deaths rather than normal GRO indexes and I still had to order it via Overseas Indexes part of GRO online
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks Zoe! You have told me everything I needed to know.

Ann
          ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
          X