can anyone identify this uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Brenda,

I found it curious that Margarets mmn was Madill (when it should have been Breen) so I checked all the childrens births

Robert John , too early for mmn, 2/4 1909 Elham 2a 1156

Kathleen M, mmn Breen, 3/4 1911 Colchester 4a 1549

Francis B, mmn Madill, 4/4 1913 Bucklow 8a 297

Margaret W, mmn Madill, 4/4 1916 Bucklow 8a 250

Curiouser & curioser!
    Janet ;)

Researching - Curr, Woolven, Beeden, Haslett, Shurey, Barton, Slade & Harding.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

I'll try again later for the medal card. I haven't seen all those 25 pages you've found.

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

now im confused doesnt take a lot for me lol thankyou,i must have gone somewhere else i clicked on ancestry,then on the research,and i got them. brenda xxx
        Last edited by Guest; 05-11-08, 16:04.

Comment

Hi Brenda,

Do you have any idea why the mothers maiden name is different for the last two children? I looked for a death and re-marriage but couldn't see either
          Janet ;)

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

no idea at all unless they lived together before mariage,is there a possabilty she had been married before?because the older 2 were older.what census was it on?brenda xxx

Comment

Not on the census Brenda. I looked at Robert's army records when you asked about the place name, with the childrens names & baptism records, and cross checked with GRO records. By way of the mmn being different it would suggest that the mother of the older ones died and Robert remarried, but the time span is very short between 2nd & 3rd births and there is no death reg for a Margaret McCartie or a remarriage for Robert??
              Janet ;)

Comment

Brenda (and everyone) - the best place to ask about uniforms, badges etc is

Great War Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

It's free and doesn't take long to register, and the best place to go for expert advice on anything to do with WW1, but I'm sure they will be able to help with this one.

You will need to provide a zoomed in version of the photo, so that they have a clear view of the uniform.

I've recently solved a 4 year old mystery in one evening from the help of the members of GWF

Comment

janet i have looked through my notes i have deaths of margaret mary mccartie nee breen (mother)17/02/71
                  robert john senior(father) 27/02/1956
                  robert john junior(trevors dad)6/01/1938
                  these are burried in the same grave in altricham,francis also is burried as a mccartie,and so is margaret winniefred ,so i dont know why the name madill other than an error
                  brenda xxxx

Comment

Brenda, it could have been an error if it was just one child but it is for two, so that surely can't be the case. Do you have their wedding cert? Does it say that she is a spinster?
                    Janet ;)

Comment

no but as i said they were burried in the same grave with the name mccartie,i have been and seen it and in the record book there as mccartie,i have sent for robert john senoir,s birth certificate to se who his mum was i know she was a mary.brenda xxx

Comment

only just married in time!

Marriage Jun 1908
                        BREEN Margaret Elham 2a 2243
                        McCartie Robert John Elham 2a 2243
                        Last edited by Jessbowbag; 07-11-08, 22:01.
                        Jess

Comment

but robert john was born 1st quarter of 1909 ? its the 2 different surnames that are puzzling me brenda xxx

Comment

me too - she was probably pregnant when they married.

I think i'd want that marriage cert , see what she says - spinster of widow or something else
                            Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                              only just married in time!

Marriage Jun 1908
                              BREEN Margaret Elham 2a 2243
                              McCartie Robert John Elham 2a 2243

just got the birth certificate robert jonh was born in may 1909....11 months after marriage,so he was a definet love child ,sad he died aged 27 before trevor knew him as he was born 1937, brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X