• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I think so, Dave.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

So the child was Peggy M not Peggy E and Tryphenia married after she had left the UK?

Comment

CHRISTOPHER CLEMENT CARNALL 1868 (Born Devon)
        That rings a bell - I bet the middle name should be Clemett, right?

Are you related to Christopher Clemett from High Bickington, who emigrated to NZ in the 1840s?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          So the child was Peggy M not Peggy E and Tryphenia married after she had left the UK?

I don't know whether anybody has checked the actual index image to see what the middle initial is - I know sometimes it's hard to make them out because the typing has gone blotchy!
          KiteRunner

Comment

It's Margaret M on the GRO page, but it might be a retyped page, so could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              That rings a bell - I bet the middle name should be Clemett, right?

Are you related to Christopher Clemett from High Bickington, who emigrated to NZ in the 1840s?

Mary - I got the info from 1881 census and the freeBMD. I think Brenda is doing this on behalf of someone else, I just thought I'd try and make sense of what had already been found.
              David

I
              Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

Ah, thanks - I assumed it was you for some reason. I thought it was odd when she said you were a new member

Comment

Brenda

John Douglas L Carnall was born Q4 1871 W. Derby 8b 277

He married Mary Hewitt in Q2 1897 Liverpool 8b 204

By 1901 they had two children:

William John Carnall Q1 1894 W. Derby 8b 630
                  Tryphenia Elizabeth Carnall Q1 1898 W. Derby 8b 567

These four are together in 1901 living in Wavertree, Lancs.

John 29 b Liverpool
                  Mary 28 b Westmoreland Stainmore (?)
                  William 6 b Liverpool
                  Tryphenia 3 b Liverpool

Between 1901 and 1918 John seems to have moved to Canada as he died in October 1918 as a Canadian Citizen fighting in WW1 (see post #20). Unless that is a different man with exactly the same initials. If it is our man he was relatively old at 47 years.

We understand Tryphenia had a child in England, but we cannot find the birth of that child. We also understand Tryphenia married Edward Dunning in England, but we cannot find that marriage.

OK, lets try from the other end of the stick.

this canadian cousin is related to Tryphenia & Edwards Dunning. How? Who is he to them?
                  Last edited by Jessbowbag; 04-11-08, 14:32.
                  Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                    Between 1901 and 1918 John seems to have moved to Canada as he died in October 1918 as a Canadian Citizen fighting in WW1 (see post #20). Unless that is a different man with exactly the same initials. If it is our man he was relatively old at 47 years.
                    Jess, we've found his attestation papers on ancestry and his entry on the passenger list, and it is definitely him. We also found Mary, Tryphena etc on a later passenger list.

We understand Tryphenia had a child in England, but we cannot find the birth of that child.
                    It is that birth you found before, Jess - because the name and age match the baby on the passenger list.

We also understand Tryphenia married Edward Dunning in England, but we cannot find that marriage.
                    Tryphena is still single and using the surname Carnell when she emigrated, so she must have married in Canada.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

OK Kate, thanks. been out to work ( about to go again now ) Bren semed to adamant she maried and peggy was born UK, that was all - i thought perhaps rom the other end of the stick we might be able to meet in the middle.
                      Jess

Comment

thankyou i think you have found them i have emailed roy and hope he can come and talk to you all ,thankyou so much,brenda xxx

Comment

roy will be on in 5 mins brenda xxx

Comment

Hi all and thank you for the help. I am Roy Holder. Tryphena Carnall was my grandmother. Her mother and father were John DL Carnall and Mary (Hewitt) Carnall.
                            My gran was born about 1897 in Liverpool. She had 4 siblings, William, Connie, Grace,and Jack(John). There was possibly a Harry too. I'm unsure when JDL, came to Canada but I did know he was in the Canadian army and was killed in the WW1. Tryphena had a child out of wedlock named Peggy(Elizabeth) After that she married Edward Dunning and had my mother, Catherine Grace Dunning. I have no information on Edward Dunning and any info would be a great help. Thanks to all again for your research. Roy

Comment

Hi all, Thanks again. My mother Catherine Dunning was born in Regina, Sask, Canada.
                              I believe my grandparents Dunning and Carnall were married there too. Apparently Edward was in the Canadian Military but I have no idea which branch of it. I appreciate all the help greatly. Thanks again, Roy

Comment

Roy, can you please confirm that Peggy is no longer alive, because if she is still alive we would need to remove her name from this thread?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

he is not on but yes she is dead brenda xxx

Comment

Sorry I took so long to get back. Yes, Both Peggy and Catherine Grace have passed
                                    Thanks,
                                    Roy

Comment

Is there any thing here, of any use?

Canada - Family Tree Forum. Particually the Saskatchewan section?

Their Links to Useful Sites took me to BDM but I cant see anything obvious in the name of Carnall.
                                      Jess

Comment

thankyou jess roy is 9 hours behind us so he will see this around 2pm our time thankyou for all your help brenda xxx

Comment

bumping up for roy so he doesnt miss the link brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                          X