Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills

I'm a little confused about Wills.

I have been given information that a Will was put into Probate in 1753. I had a look on the National Archives site, but it's not there.

Where could I find a copy of the will?

Also, how much time between death and probate usually passed? I have a possible Will for a man who died in 1786. The will is dated 1808. Is it likely to be the right one?

I have also downloaded one and can barely read it lol
    Is there a special skill involved in that? I will try again in the morning when my eyes are working properly.

Thanks.
    Tracy

Tracy...I've a few old wills. I found them on Lancs will search site. I think there are a few other places. Have you googled wills + the place?

Comment

The reading is hard at times. Oddly, my very early ones have been easier to read than the TNA ones post 1850s.

I'm sure people will help with decoding it.

Comment

You should find a copy at your County Archives. You can photocopy them too to take away and translate later.

I should have said at the County Archives of whichever County the person lived in.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Not all early Wills are at County Archives.

I have several which are still held by the consistory court which proved the Will. Some of these courts are hundreds of miles from where the deceased lived!

Can you not ask the person who told you about the will?

OC

Comment

Thanks all.

OC, I will email her, but I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable lot more about it while I was thinking about it.
            Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
              Also, how much time between death and probate usually passed? I have a possible Will for a man who died in 1786. The will is dated 1808. Is it likely to be the right one?

Usually it only took a few weeks or months, but there were always exceptions. So I would say, not likely, but possible.

TNA site has a tutorial in reading old handwriting:
              The National Archives | Palaeography tutorial (how to read old handwriting)

The more of those old wills you read, the easier it gets!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have the will of an ancestor who died in 1785 and the will was proved in 1804. I think they just kept it until another death in the family forced their hand.

I didn't believe it was the right on either at first but it deffo is!

Anne

Comment

There are arcane rules governing which church court your will was proved in pre 1858. As OC says, it may not be in the most obvious place. It will be based on the diocese and that is not necessarily the county - hence Wiltshire RO holds wills for several counties and rural Surrey wills are at the LMA. However the county record office should be able to tell you which courts an ancestor's will might have been proved in. There is usually a choice of three or four, depending on how wealthy they were. Increasingly, at least the catalogues are online.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I've got a will that was proved in 1832, the chap died in 1808. The delay I suspect was mainly because his chief heir & executor - his YOUNGEST son - was under age at the time he died. The will only got proved after the son himself died. (There is an admon for 1808 appointing guardians for him.)

These were from Durham (they are in the university library). Conveniently whoever catalogued them had cross-referenced the documents, or else I might have overlooked the documents from 1832.
                    Vicky

Comment

Yes, I have a will proved eleven years after death - the widow hung onto the assets until her hand was forced by her (hurried!) remarriage.

Another died in 1819, intestate. Admon was granted to the widow, who couldn't be bothered with it all, and admon was regranted in 1831. She then died and admon was granted yet again, along with the execution of her own will, which was haggled over for years, because she was willing property from her husband's admon, which hadn't been executed!

OC

Comment

Thanks all

Am busy trying to decipher the 1808 will and I've come across a few children who aren't on my list. Still not sure if this is the right guy or not - I can't read his wife's name lol

Can anyone read this?

I thought it might be Harriet, but my Thomas' wife was Elizabeth.
                        Tracy

Comment

Rachel?

Comment

Yes, looks like Rachel to me too.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ahh, that would fit with a marriage on the IGI.

Thanks
                              Tracy

Comment

Working...
                              X