• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census - e-mail with further information received

It is an update of what will be disclosed:

For the first time it will include:

Details of nationality
    Duration of current marriage
    How many children have been born to that marriage - including children no longer living at home and those who died
    Details of the precise branch of a profession or trade an individual worked in. For instance, whether a carpenter worked in a colliery, a ship works, or was a house carpenter and joiner
    Household schedules have survived so we can see our ancestors' own handwriting, complete with any unsolicited additional comments they might have made
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

1911 Census Update

For those who haven't signed up for the 1911 Census newsletters, I just received the following, which may be of interest:
    Dear Family Historian,

Thank you for registering on the 1911census.co.uk website.

In this, the first of our update e-mails, we?ll examine the background to the project and explain why the census is being released early. We?ll also run through the exciting new features that make this census more insightful than its predecessors.

It?s three years early

As you?re probably already aware, from 2009 the information contained in the 1911 census will be released, in batches, in the form of both high-quality digital images and fully searchable transcriptions, online. Thanks to a ruling by the Information Commissioner the census is being released (bar the withholding of some sensitive information) three years earlier than its expected 100 year closure period.

This is great news for family historians, and so too is the news that findmypast.com, the market leader in online genealogy, is managing the project.

A giant of genealogical data

The 1911 census is gargantuan in stature: in its physical form it occupies two kilometres of shelving at The National Archives, or, for the analogically minded, that?s the combined length of 200 double-decker buses - though assuredly the census holds more people. There are 36,070,492, in fact, and among them are the forebears of family historians the world over.

Invaluable new information

As with previous censuses the 1911 census shows the name, age, gender, and marital status of each person, as well as detailing their occupation and birthplace. But for the first time ever the following information is also included:

Details of nationality
    Duration of current marriage
    How many children have been born to that marriage - including children no longer living at home and those who died
    Details of the precise branch of a profession or trade an individual worked in. For instance, whether a carpenter worked in a colliery, a ship works, or was a house carpenter and joiner
    Household schedules have survived so we can see our ancestors' own handwriting, complete with any unsolicited additional comments they might have made
    First UK census in colour

1911 will be the first ever UK census to be scanned in colour, making its images far sharper and more faithful to the original document than those of any that has preceded it.

Spread the word

1911census.co.uk will be, at launch and for some considerable time after, the only place to access the 1911 census online. If you have friends or colleagues who share your interest in family history, then be sure to tell them to register on the site so that they don?t miss out on the launch.

Between now and the 2009 launch we?ll be sending you regular updates and imparting some useful tips and background information to ensure you get the most from this exciting new census.

Our best wishes,

The 1911census.co.uk team.
    Tim
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

oh wow I cant wait hope ,hey release them early

Comment

Oh, why don't they just get ON with it, instead of wasting time sending us tantalising emails!

OC

Comment

Thought this was a funny snippet they put up on the 1911 census site.

Someone had written on the census, 'would you like to know what our income is, what we each had for breakfast and how long we expect to live on anything else?'

Guess they weren't over keen on all the questions. lol
          Fiona. xx

Comment

I'm getting more impatient. I need some pointers for 20th century, all those folk that Freebmd hasn't yet reached!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I can't wait - its the only way I can find a bit of info on ggm - all I have is her on the census with her husband and son, and her death certificate - apart from that nothing - pity it won't say where in Ireland she was from!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Will it be available 1/1/09???????

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Wonder how much it's going to cost to access it. Will it be available as part of a subscription or will it be pay per view credits?

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post

Someone had written on the census, 'would you like to know what our income is, what we each had for breakfast and how long we expect to live on anything else?'

LOL that's what they asked on the last one.
                    That person must have given them ideas :d

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post

They should have seen some of the US censuses, with questions like where were your parents born and what language did they speak, what rent do you pay for your house, do you have a radio, etc.!

I don't really think this email told us anything we didn't already know, did it?
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes I got that email. It still doesn't give any indication on what date/month in 2009 they expect to be able to start realeasing the information. Or did it and I missed it.

I wish they would give some idea on the date of release its so frustrating!

Comment

I think it will be pay per view as that is the only fair way to do it. They cannot restrict it to people who can afford a full sub to any given site.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            I think it will be pay per view as that is the only fair way to do it. They cannot restrict it to people who can afford a full sub to any given site.

OC
                            Trouble is, pay per view can work out very expensive if you have loads of people to look up. Especially if the transcriptions are bad.

Perhaps a choice of pay per view or a sub would be nice.

Comment

Margaret

It is going to be a dedicated site like the 1901 census was originally. I vaguely remember being able to buy credits in the local library to use on the site. It was expensive, yes.

However, they have to try to recoup the initial costs which must be astronomical and I don't grudge them that. It will no doubt be sold off eventually, as the 1901 was, to a subscription site.

So, it's either stump up to find out straightaway, or sit back for five years, lol!

OC

Comment

Just as long as the site doesn't crash for weeks like the 1901 did.

Comment

Yes I realise that OC, just impatient I suppose. We would have have to think carefully who we need to look up and in what order.

Perhaps a Christmas or Birthday present of credits or vouchers would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    Just as long as the site doesn't crash for weeks like the 1901 did.
                                    Oh surely that won't happen again will it?

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      Margaret

It is going to be a dedicated site like the 1901 census was originally. I vaguely remember being able to buy credits in the local library to use on the site. It was expensive, yes.

However, they have to try to recoup the initial costs which must be astronomical and I don't grudge them that. It will no doubt be sold off eventually, as the 1901 was, to a subscription site.

So, it's either stump up to find out straightaway, or sit back for five years, lol!

OC
                                      I remember when it came out it was free...... it was the first time I knew I had a possible chance of finding out about Dads mum as she should have been around at the time and I didn't pay a penny ( was using works computer during lunch time)..... Looked at the census page for her for hours still wondering it it was the right person. Although her middle name is unusual, I didn't know if other dorothys had put not put a middle name down it wasn't till a good few years later with more online resources especially free BMD National Archives Navy records and looking at Elector rolls I knew I had the right lady. remember it being broken for a couple of weeks to with the amount of traffic :D

Comment

Hmmmm BBC says it was 75p per download of the actual sheet but another part of the bbc says the transcriptions were free....

BBC News | UK | Census website a crashing success

Comment

Working...
                                        X