Following on from Barrowford Church..Samuel Holden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following on from Barrowford Church..Samuel Holden

On the link I posted showing John the picture of the Barrowford church as it was , (I spent the next half hour looking through some of Jim Sanderson's website) there was yet another Holden...Samuel Holden Esq, an eminent local "WHO DONATED BULL HOLME FOR THE USE OF ALLOTMENTS AND PLAYING-FIELDS TO THE PEOPLE OF BARROWFORD."

There's a picture of Samuel ...

OB2

Is he one of yours OC?

Anne
    Last edited by Anne Brown; 06-01-09, 19:21.

Anne

I cannot immediately identify him, but I am going to chase him up - the photograph "proves" he is a Holden through and through!

Time and time again, I see in photos of Holdens unrelated to me (well, recently related, that is) with the uncanny likeness in the upper head and eyes. I am now convinced this is The Mark of Holden, lol!

Thanks for the prompt.

OC

Comment

Oh, this is tantalising! I have just looked at the link you put up on the other thread for Old Barrowford. I had not realised how near to Clitheroe it is...and Clitheroe (area) is the ancient seat of the Holdens.

Therefore...if Samuel Holden, presumably a local, looks uncannily like my Dad and lots of other Holdens too, I am almost on my way to proving that all Holdens in Lancashire are direct descendants of the Manorial Holdens! LOL.

OC

Comment

Anne thanks for putting this up, my roots are in sight of Pendle, the heritage centre at Parkhill was once the home of my Bannisters and I spent 2 weeks every summer in the area. Feeling a bit homesick now...

Comment

Is he one of yours OC?
          Tha's reet, lass, 'tis Owd Sam o't'Allotments.

Comment

Mary

LOL! Makes a nice change from Owd Timothy o't' Looms!

OC

Comment

Ha Ha LOL Mary that med me laugh...

Dug this up re Sam Holden....

History
              Barrowford

Know Lancashire? Well then, you are probably familiar with its 'Golden Mile' but could you direct someone to its 'Designer Mile?' Well think east, think Pendle. Over the last few years the pendle village of Barrowford has become one of Lancashire's most exclusive locations. Where once its claim to fame rested soley on its flight of canal locks, today's Barrowford boasts a plethora of posh designer shops, trensy eateries and a fair bit of culture too. For those who like to wear their clothes labels on the outside, Gisburn Road is the place to head. It is not difficult to find because it tis the main A682 throughfare through the village. There are shops on both sides and as it is half a mile in lenght, you have to walk up and down to achieve your designer mile.

Enter Barrowford via the M65 motorway, go over the bridge and you are at Gisburn Road's lower reaches. As you presevere, the further along you go, the better it gets. At the middle and top end, the road runs parallel to Pendle Brook, which is itself bordered by a park built in the 1920's by two cotton barons.

History of the Park

Barrowford Park dates back to the 1920s and was conceived by two local cotton manufacturers, Sam Holden and John Dixon, who wanted to create a park and recreation ground for the people of Barrowford. The two men gave the land for the park and the people of Barrowford raised the funds for the recreation ground. Officially opened on 25th March 1924, the Park was handed over to the Urban District Council and was dedicated as a memorial to those soldiers from the village who fell in the First World War.

From

and this snippet ...

"When I worked at Sam Holden’s Holmefield Mill in 1969 a new warehouse was built adjacent to the frontage of Gisburn Road - "

From
              http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/default.asp (via google)

Anne
              Last edited by Anne Brown; 20-10-08, 15:59.

Comment

Working...
              X