Asize courts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peppie View Post
    You might need a trip to Kew, I found some there for another FTF member.
    Thanks Peppie

I have the memory of a goldfish :D, sometime wonder how I remember who I have researched and who I haven't.

Do you need any more details?
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

LOL,

It's always worth asking here if someone is going somewhere, we're all over the country so you never know ;)

Drop me a PM, with whatever you have, and I'll take a look, might take a couple of trips depending on how much I have to go through, if it's there i'll find it at some point for you

Comment

Have pm'd you, thanks

Comment

It's not really any help, but actually it is defence briefs which are tied with red tape - prosecution briefs are tied with white tape.

Not really sure why I said this, but just thought I would!!
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thats what I like about this site,

Its all the little bits of info people come up with, I never knew about the tapes, and one day it might come in handy, you never know.

Thanks for sharing Joan

Comment

Muggins

The ones I looked at were all in faded pink, like old love letters. Opened them up and they were all jumbled up together, horrible cases of dead babies dragged out of canals or abandoned in fields, together with my poor gt gt granduncle's case.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

How sad, Nell - I presume it was the court files you were looking at, as opposed to the actual briefs- which are tied in red (often faded to pink) or white accordingly - our house is full of them!!

Sorry if I was misleading :o
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

What are the briefs, Muggins, I'm intrigued now - and why is your house full of them???

Comment

The briefs are criminal briefs

OH is a barrister and so am I until, although I no longer practice

It's not something I usually like to mention! :o
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

*Takes one horrified look at Muggins and hides under stairs, enumerating own undisclosed crimes on fingers*

Comment

Oh dear!!

I'm quite normal, really :D

Could probably do a bit of plea-bargaining on your behalf, OC ...+ several TIC's....:D
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thankyou Muggins, I'll bear that in mind next time I am had up for late library books or smoking in the street.

Actually I'm fairly good at my own plea-bargaining - I just go into quavery old woman mode, or beg silence while the voices in my head tell me what to do.

OC

Comment

Someone who I made contact with today has come up with this

Richard was caught stealing--- the account from the Reading Mercury March 15th 1851 [on film at Reading main public library]
                            Convicted by Newbury Division Bench of Magistrates [W. Mount, E.B. Bunny, H.M. Bunbury and R. Compton Esq] at their Petty Sessions on Thursday 13th inst Richard HAZELL for wilful damage to underwood at Greenham on the 15th January last, by cutting two alder sticks, the property of Robert Fuller Graham Esq. with intent to steal the same, fined 20s 6d including costs, but not paying the same was committed for 21days to hard labor [sic]

The lady in question transcribe for Berks FHS and is conected to my Hazell's,so am hoping she can give me some more info.

Comment

Dear God, sent to prison for cutting two alder sticks! The poor chap.

OC

Comment

I know OC, its hardly believeable, but he was sent to the new Reading Gaol as it just open then, and it turns out he was married 3 times, but we are going to start at the beginning with my Grandmother (who was a Hazell) and work back from there.

Comment

There is a whole Hazell family about the same time poisioned with Arsenic.....:o By mistake, 17 yr old daughter was cooking pancakes..

Comment

Where did you find that Sharon, and does it give names??

Comment

Yup, quite a few newspaper reports, they were in Sommerset I think of the top of my head... And a mention of another Hazell as a publican in a murder trial about the same time, send me your email, can't do it now as I keep disconnecting and it's becomming a nuisance, but I'll email you some stuff this week.

sx

Comment

Have pm'd you Sharon

Comment

I have a gt x a few grandfather and his son who were done for stealing firewood from Lord Stowell. Like he'd miss it!

The same page of their prison register has a 14-year-old girl and her father accused of stealing a pair of boots.

Your Richard Hazell should have had an Asbo!

Comment

Working...
                                          X