X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Baptism

Hello Forum

First post for me so here goes.

While I was trolling through a mircofilm of baptism records recently, I noticed that the record I was interested in had a note in the date column, "Privately" underlined above the date. As I haven't viewed that many records does anyone know if private baptisms were common or what circumstances would lead to the comment.

A great forum, still working my way through

Jim C.

Hi and welcome.

A private baptism was usually held if the child wasn't expected to live.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Also, sometimes the High and Mighty would have their babies privately baptised at home, partly because a genteel lady could not be expected to set foot out of her bed for at least a month after childbirth, and partly to stop the commoners gawping at Sunday service!

Sometimes this would be in their own private chapel, if very grand, in which case the baptism stood, but if done at the bedside, say, then the baby would be later "received into the church".

OC

Comment

Different practices operate in different parts of the country and at different times. In Norfolk in the late 1700s, it was almost axiomatic in some parishes that your baptism would be private. This might reflect an absentee vicar.

I once read a Victorian novel where a child was privately baptised and the whole village regarded it as very strange that the baby was not produced in church for a public christening.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

All

Many thanks for the replies. I suppose I had guessed that the child was not expected to live. The family were certainly not wealthy and knowing the area of Manchester they lived and the year 1861 it is no surprise. I will keep on with the research and try to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again

Jim C

Comment

Jim

In that case, it would have been an "in extremis" baptism, probably by a birth attendant, but any member of the C of E can baptise in an emergency situation.

OC

Comment

Leading on from O.C's comment,
              ... Would there be a searchable record of such a home baptism, if not performed by clergy?

Comment

No, I don't think so Gwyn, but most Vicars would record in the register that a private baptism had taken place, if they were so informed. (By parents/midwife etc)

OC

Comment

Thank you for that O.C.
                  Next time I am in Hampshire R.O.I will check whether they recorded the baptism of a neighbour's child in 1940s.
                  I remember my mother telling me that the midwife baptised the baby, ....who survived and is now a grandmother.

Comment

Gwyn

That reminds me of a woman I used to know...born in a remote farmhouse during the war, one of triplets. Granny delivered them, baptised them, then stuck them in a shoebox each, wrapped in cotton wool, and put them in the warming oven!

They survived and grew up without any problems.

OC

Comment

All

Once again many thanks

Jim. C

Comment

Working...
                      X