Waily waily! Is this the end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waily waily! Is this the end?

I've got interested and frustrated again about my 3 x gt grandmother Mary Page 1788-1872.

I don't know who her parents were.
    She was born according to 1851 in Ellingham, Norfolk
    HO107/1820 Folio: 313 Page:7

In 1861 it says born Elmham and 1871 it says Burgh St Peter.

But I can't find a baptism. The Ellingham parish registers which I saw at NRO and then again at the LDS centre in London are stained and very difficult to read. I found some other Pages but can't be sure they are connected to my Mary.

Any ideas or is this a concrete wall?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Are there any bishop's transcripts?

Could you maybe see if there are any wills for people with the surname Page from those areas and see if they mention Mary by her married name?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom

Thanks, I will investigate BTs.

Not sure how I would know if any Page Wills mention Mary unless I get them, and also uncertain if there would be any Wills anyway since family were poor, but it's another avenue I might explore if I ever get any money.

There is a Japhet Page on censuses, who was born 1787 in Ellingham, who could be Mary's brother or cousin, but I don't have a baptism for him either.

Comment

LDS has personal submission with info on Japeth [sic] Page, which fits in with what I already know, but although it gives an exact birth date and baptism date it doesn't say who his parents were!

Comment

Might not be so lucky with the wills then Nell. I just thought that they may have the wills at the RO and you could look at them for free there.

Might it be worth looking at the original register rather than micro films or fiche? I've found the originals easier to read in some cases.

:0

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Oh now what!

Found another LDS entry giving his parents as John Page & Mary Sims. Now when I trawled the Ellingham baptism registers I found :

"Sarah, daughter of John Page & Mary his wife, late Mary Limb[?] spinster, baptised 18 Jan 1785 privately."

Benjamin, son of John Page & Mary his wife late Mary Sims, spinster. Pub. bap. Nov 16, 1793.

banns called for John Page otp and Martha Sims of Brooke, single on 20 Jun, 27 Jun and 4 Jul 1773

So is Martha Sims really Maria/Mary and if they married 1773ish, why are all their children baptised so much later? And why couldn't I find Mary Page?

Comment

Frustrating because there is a burial for a Mary Page in Ellingham in 1857, aged 93. She would have been right age to be Mary Page Gray's mother, but it says she was widow of William. So if Mary's parents were William and Mary, they can't be John and Mary.

But without Mary Page Gray's baptism I can't get further.
              Plus can only find a Mary Page on censuses, instead of Maria. This Mary could be William's widow, except in 1841 she is with Charles Page who is 10 years younger and it says he isn't born in county.

Waily waily! I'm just rambling, I need more coffee.

Comment

Norfolk wills are online at NOAH, I think it is, and you can download them free but I don't know if it's complete yet. Anyway, definitely worth a try although I always find the search on there quite difficult to get to grips with!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you KiteRunner.

I've always found NOAH quite unfriendly - I'd rather use the TNA website, and that's saying something!

Comment

"Found another LDS entry giving his parents as John Page & Mary Sims."

Are you sure about Mary's surname? Could it be Sim? My reason for asking is I have a Sim twig in Ayrshire from at least 1960. I have not yet tried tracing that line.

Hugo

Comment

Well, could be Sim. Sims and Sim are probably interchangeable.

I tried NOAH but it just said it was searching and nothing happened.

Comment

Working...
                      X