Tantalising snippets of information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tantalising snippets of information

Do you ever find snippets of information that have you on the edge of your seat with curiosity - and then you can't find out any more?

I have one of those at the moment.

I've just come across this memorial inscription at Quorn, Leicestershire:

A memorial of Thomas Chapman who suddenly exchanged fame for
    eternity on the 9th of October 1804, aged 64 years.
    What on earth could have happened?

No idea Mary - I've never heard of him. lol

Is there a list of memorials for Quorn somehwere online? I would be interested to see if a couple of my rellies have stones there

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I was just reading this:

The stonemasons must have got rich! What a lot of long epitaphs!!!

Comment

Yes, that's where I got it from. The inscriptions are really useful, because they often give ages and relationships.

The link Merry posted has the Quorn C of E (St. Bartholomew's) burials.

There's a link here to Quorn Baptist burials:

Genealogy of Quorn (Quorndon) Village, Leicestershire, England

and here are Quorn marriages (courtesy of our very own Guy):

Quprindex

This site's also good for pre-1837 East Midlands Baptist births (it includes Rothley and Loughborough, but not Quorn):

EAST MIDLANDS GENERAL BAPTIST HISTORY

I'm sure they're all in the Wiki
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-10-08, 18:24.

Comment

Might just be an elaborate way of saying "he was famous and he died", mightn't it?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I shall be in Leics in a couple of weeks, and I may go to Quorn if I have time, so let me know if you want me to look for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              Might just be an elaborate way of saying "he was famous and he died", mightn't it?
              Well yes, presumably he was famous and died suddenly. But I wonder what he was famous for?

And the inscription does make it sound like something out-of-the-ordinary happened - I was having visions of Cagney doing his "top of the world, Ma!" act

Comment

Tantalising snippets of information.....Oh yes, I've got plenty!

I was recently 'found' by a second cousin once removed who lives in the USA.

It turns out that her Gt Grandfather Michael Charles Brady (from Dublin) is one of my Gran's 17 siblings.

Her Grandfather died in 2004..and unfortunately she hadn't gathered very much family info from him. Although he told her that one of the Brady's was married to James Pollard (my Gran) and another was married to Bernard Rooney..yes that was correct too.

Her uncle though, has come up with some 'extra' Brady names....but we can't find anything! Arthur, Edward (Ned), a Lizzy, a Minnie and a Thomas Brady...all supposedly my Gran's siblings. Agnes Brady married a John Sheehan, Somebody else married a Mr Grace. Arthur Brady possibly came to England and lived in St Helens Lancashire.

I have paid a researcher in Ireland to trace the Baptism records of my Gran's siblings in 2 parish records..and I have 14 out of 18 children including Agnes.

I have a Mary Grace as a witness to one of Gran's sisters marriage and a Mary Brady's birth certificate. Is she Mary Grace? She was the first born 1873 and my Gran was the last in 1894.....unless there were some born after her!

This Brady family is doing my head in!!!
                teresa

Comment

teresDid any of your male Brady's come to Ayrshire?

Hugo

Comment

Hi Hugo

I've got no idea if any of my Gran's brothers went to Ayrshire..Michael Charles Brady died in Dublin, as did Thomas. Edward was killed during WW1 whilst serving in the British Army.
                    According to the 1911 Dublin City Census, of the 18 children born alive. 8 children were still living in 1911.

I only have proof of 1 male surviving and 5 females!

My Gt Grandfather Michael Patrick Brady had these brothers: (that I know of)
                    John Brady who married Catherine Devine in 1868 in Co. Dublin.
                    Daniel Brady married Elenora Curry in 1881 in Co Dublin
                    Patrick Brady married Mary McDermott in 1882 in Co Dublin.

Where they went and what became of them..is another mystery!

When my Gt Grandfather Michael Brady married in 1872 in Co Dublin..another Michael Brady was a witness! As yet I don't know who he was or where he ended up!
                    teresa

Comment

Hi Mary

Well, he was not famous enough to rate a mention in The Times.
                      Are there any local newspapers on-line ? It's too early for local directories I think.

Di
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia
                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I've tried Gale, but there are no Leicester newspapers in their database - the nearest is Derby, I think, but I haven't found any reference to him.

I guess he must only have been famous locally in some capacity.

Comment

The area was famous for its hunts: perhaps he took a fall while out hunting?
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            Do you ever find snippets of information that have you on the edge of your seat with curiosity - and then you can't find out any more?

Quite a few connected to my Goulson family. Mostly the OBE/Brigadier chap and the branch who were responsible for casting/hanging bells in assorted properties in and around Lincolnshire.

Then there is the surgeon who was granted a patent for some process connected to flour (he was a surgeon and also developed some gruesome looking apparatus that looks more akin to torture than treatment). I just can't find his wife (her name or the marraige) or his will.

Then of course my Norfolk lots, the connection to Nelson (however slight!!) or proving the details that lead me backwards/across another family line, oh sure i can find the pubs,hotels and farms etc but boy did a lot of them die without leaving a hint about where/when.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Another one who's very irritating is Alexander Gibbon, who married an ancestor of mine. He was a highly educated man, wrote learned books about taxation, was the trustee of the Bowes-Lyon family, and was staying overnight with Lady Glamis on census night 1851.

In his obituary in the Aberdeen Journal (information supplied by his brother), it says "In his actual life history were several striking and uncommon incidents".

And it doesn't say any more about them! How frustrating. :(

Comment

I have a newspaper report of a John Philbrook who was accused of shooting at the "contractor of the mail" in Rayleigh, Essex in 1860. Don't know if he's mine or not but it's an uncommon name and I'd love to be able to investigate at ERO.
                                Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                X