No announcement yet.

Married at 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add to what Merry said, I have just over 8000 people in my tree and the youngest marriage I have found is for a girl who was 16.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I AM glad I looked at this thread. It prompted me to call up the "age at marriage" query on my Family Historian, where i doscovered two chaps had married at -85 and -78respectively! On closer inspection I had entered both their dates of birth in the 1800s instead of 1700s. Oh heck, this info must have been on several trees that I've shared over the years. Hope the recipients aren't still searching for them in the wrong century.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        I AM glad I looked at this thread. It prompted me to call up the "age at marriage" query on my Family Historian, where i doscovered two chaps had married at -85 and -78respectively! On closer inspection I had entered both their dates of birth in the 1800s instead of 1700s. Oh heck, this info must have been on several trees that I've shared over the years. Hope the recipients aren't still searching for them in the wrong century.
        Serves them right for not checking things out. :D

Comment

I have found one female who may have married at the tender age of 15, though of course I am assuming she was baptised as a baby. If she'd been baptised at the age of 2 she would have been 17.

In general, my lot tended to marry in their mid to late 20s to early 30s though I do have a man marrying for the first time at 69 [he was going blind and needed looking after] and several women who married older but richer men when they were in their late 40s and clearly on the shelf.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

sorry to throw a spanner in works, but was her birth listed on census correctly? this could make the difference about when she married and if she is 1 of the 2 you have found.

have you found her birth?

another thought i had is have you tried searching for wilcock, incase it was written down wrongly?
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Amy, I think this is the birth:

Births Sep 1892
              Wilcox Susannah Leeds 9b 495

and she was listed as 8 in 1891 so that fits.

Comment

ok, as said was just a thought that came to me whilst reading through the thread.
                **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have jsut started using FTM 2008 and also have PAF. Is there anyway to work out the age at marriage without me manually working it out?
                  Kit

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                    I read this post, used the FH query and found somebody who had married at age 1 .... careless typing for me too - putting the date in the wrong person's box. :D
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Whilst browsing through newspapers for KiwiChris I found a birth announcement for a 14 year old girl, it mentioned her marriage the previous year at age 13

That was in the early 1800's though.

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                        Whilst browsing through newspapers for KiwiChris I found a birth announcement for a 14 year old girl, it mentioned her marriage the previous year at age 13

That was in the early 1800's though.

So it was done, the mind boggles at the thought of this though. EDI

Comment

It was quite common in rural Ireland and Scotland - don't know about Wales. It was almost always an escape from poverty or the workhouse, rarely for love, as a 12 year old girl and a (young) man from poor backgrounds would not have the finances to set up home together.

OC

Comment

Although possible, the marriage at 12 would have been very unusual and I think it's worth considering other possibilities:

I've found that ages in censuses can be very unreliable - up to three years either way is not uncommon, particularly in families with several children. You can imagine the mum giving the information to the enumerator one year and then perhaps the vaguer father doing it in the next census.

Inference from baptism date: this can also be misleading. As someone noted earlier, a reasonable percentage of children were not baptised in the year of their birth. Again, I've got one family where all the kids, ranging in age from 0-8, were bapised at the same time after moving to a new parish - obviously a more persuasive vicar!

Incompleteness of BMDs: FreeBMD is not 100% complete, and neither is the searchable version on Ancestry that used FreeBMD as it's base. Just because you haven't found the most plausible birth record, doesn't mean it isn't out there (though they think up to 5% of births at some points weren't registered. It's probably worth trawling through the full indexes for +/- five years just to rule out another more plausible birth.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonLass View Post
                              Although possible, the marriage at 12 would have been very unusual and I think it's worth considering other possibilities:

I've found that ages in censuses can be very unreliable - up to three years either way is not uncommon, particularly in families with several children. You can imagine the mum giving the information to the enumerator one year and then perhaps the vaguer father doing it in the next census.

Inference from baptism date: this can also be misleading. As someone noted earlier, a reasonable percentage of children were not baptised in the year of their birth. Again, I've got one family where all the kids, ranging in age from 0-8, were bapised at the same time after moving to a new parish - obviously a more persuasive vicar!

Incompleteness of BMDs: FreeBMD is not 100% complete, and neither is the searchable version on Ancestry that used FreeBMD as it's base. Just because you haven't found the most plausible birth record, doesn't mean it isn't out there (though they think up to 5% of births at some points weren't registered. It's probably worth trawling through the full indexes for +/- five years just to rule out another more plausible birth.
                              I'll bear this in mind,
                              thanks for the imput LL.
                              EDI.X

Comment

I'm told by a professional researcher that the one place where girls regularly married very young was India - where white females would clearly have been at a premium - and you didn't remain a widow very long either. I dare say that that would have been the case in various colonial situations.

Amy, I haven't used PAF for a long time, but some where there used to be a "potential problems" report which would pick out people baptised after they died, married as children etc.
                                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                  I'm told by a professional researcher that the one place where girls regularly married very young was India - where white females would clearly have been at a premium - and you didn't remain a widow very long either. I dare say that that would have been the case in various colonial situations.

Amy, I haven't used PAF for a long time, but some where there used to be a "potential problems" report which would pick out people baptised after they died, married as children etc.
                                  Phoenix, Whats PAF I,m a nivice when it comes to different site.
                                  EDI.x

Comment

Edi I have the attention span of a flea, and meant to answer Kit the Kat (not Amy, Yummy Mummy) earlier on this thread.

PAF is Personal Ancestral File - some free family history software that you can download. All of us use different sorts of software and there was very recently a thread about what software we used.
                                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonLass View Post
                                      Inference from baptism date: this can also be misleading. As someone noted earlier, a reasonable percentage of children were not baptised in the year of their birth. Again, I've got one family where all the kids, ranging in age from 0-8, were bapised at the same time after moving to a new parish
                                      I have someone in what I think is part of my tree (waiting for a cert to confirm the generational connection) who was baptised 3 months after his second youngest of 8 or 9 children, at the age of 40/41

Comment

Originally posted by Pipemma View Post
                                        I have someone in what I think is part of my tree (waiting for a cert to confirm the generational connection) who was baptised 3 months after his second youngest of 8 or 9 children, at the age of 40/41
                                        Hi Pipemma,
                                        It's amazing finding all these snippets out though.
                                        I've only recently discovered 1 of Gt G'dads brothers only got wed to his lifelong partner not long before he died ,
                                        wonder if it was so she could claim all his worldly goods.
                                        EDI.x.

Comment

Working...
                                        X