Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royal navy Vs merchant navy

hi,

i know that these are/were different organisations. but are the records kept in the same place? and is it the same as applying for army - you have to be the next living reli?

i have gone back to trying to find my dads uncle, i have photos of him in his uniform (i did post them on here ages ago - and no-one could work out if royal or merchant). he was based out in nigeria in the late 1940's and moved to iraq in the early 1950's.

his daughter was born in england in 1948 - but the surname is WOOD and there are 10 or 11 of her 1st name (i wont post it incase she is alive still). so not a cheap option to get the right 1.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

There is some info on the Royal Navy in the Wiki:
    The Royal Navy - Family Tree Forum

As for the Merchant Navy, no, the records wouldn't be in the same place as Royal Navy records, but I don't know the details of where such recent records are, sorry.

Have you already looked to see if there is anything on TNA site? For instance, they have WW2 merchant navy medals listed on there.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

no i havent looked on TNA. it was only as i started adding pics to my FTM 08 that i decided to go back and try and find his wife's maiden name, but i'm struggling with that as all i know is a "known as" name. but thought if i can find him through his navy it might list wife in the records.

Comment

Look on the TNA site. If he was in the Merchant Navy, then his "seaman's pouch" may be there. The records are catalogued with name, pob and actual dob, so you would probably spot him. I haven't used these records, but believe they include photos, details of voyages etc. I think you have to be supervised when you look at them, as they are so recent.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Perhaps the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich might be able to help with Merchant Navy records.

We never did find the merchant navy records for one of my clients some years ago as he wasn't officially on the books and so there were no records kept about him.

If you can enlarge any insignia on his uniform and post it - will see if it can be identified.
          Last edited by JBee; 30-09-08, 12:32.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

ok, will add pic tomorrow.

Comment

As Phoenix says, if Merchant Navy, his records should be at the National Archives. I've looked at these records, but for slightly earlier - 1940's. You order them at Kew, but are not allowed to look at the originals. They copy them for you and details like National Insurance Number and fingerprints are removed, but the ones I've seen have photos.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I've recently foundout about this link - whichmay be useful:

Research Guide "Merchant Seamen: Officers' Service Records 1845-1965"

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I got Dads Merchant Navy record last time I was at Kew, they do do you a lovely colour copy as they are so recent! Included a photo but no finger print. I wasn't even looking for it, just typed in surname and fell off my chair when it came up in the search engine. Well worth getting your hands on!

Comment

thanks everyone.

Comment

right here are the pics i have - all 1947 in nigeria

his wife in hat

they not very big or clear, will try and re-scan them. i have tried to re-scan them and i cant get them any bigger or clearer. the pics themselves are on 2x3" in size.
                      Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 02-10-08, 09:46.

Comment

I could be wrong but I think it maybe the cap badge of a merchant ship's owner.

I've tried to see anything similar but not so far.

Any chance of enlarging the cap badge bit

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

it goes pixalated, my scanner has 1 setting for scan and that it is.

just connected up the old scanner and i have the options of 300, 150 or 72 DP, 72 is best for websites, so going to try that. unless anyone can tell me otherwise.
                          Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 02-10-08, 13:15.

Comment

[ATTACH]11204[/ATTACH]

this is the best i can get it. hopefully its ok for you to see

Comment

Does this help at all?

Uniform/Cap badge Question - Mercantile Marine
                              Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

thanks for that mark. from what i can see of the badge, it does look as though there is "something" in the middle with a crown above it.

do you think if i posted a pic on there some1 would be able to help me?

Comment

I found this on Google images Amy -

Looks quite possible doesn't it?

Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

I've just added this post on my thread about the new material on Docs Online, but it seems relevant here, too:

I also asked about the indexes to the certificates of competence, and received this reply:
                                    BT 129 and BT 130 are on microfilm, but they are both in the low usage category, and so would be quite low down on a prioritisation list.

However I believe that a lot of merchant navy records are about to be digitised in a commercial project, but I do not know if it covers certificates of competency.

thanks again for your interest.
                                    Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found this on Google images Amy -

Looks quite possible doesn't it?

it certainly does, thanks very much.

i tried looking on TNA and there are only 3 records showing "arthur wood" merchant navy, but the births seem to late to be him - they are 1917 and 1924. his sister was born 1910 and brother 1912.

Comment

Update On Arthur....

hi,

i have found "arthurs birth", sadly he is not arthur - he is FRED! i found a match to MMN and district of sister birth, rang the record office who took details and confirmed that this record for FRED matches MMN and 1st name and fathers name.

it explains why i cant find a marriage for him or his merchant navy records! at least i am now on the correct line and hopefully things will progress. thanks for help with regards to arthur, please stay around incase i need help with FRED.

Comment

Working...
                                        X