No announcement yet.

GR contact please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rule when I use the site is if they have not opened the tree for me, or, after we have swapped basic infor via email to confirm a link, I NEVER open my tree to them.

They have contacted me looking for information, so they should open first to show 'good faith'.
    I also switch off access after a week if they have not been back in contact, as it is obvious that they are harvesting and not sharing.

My Pursglove tree has been a target of that, I know for a fact, as a deliberate mistake i placed in it has appeared in others GR and online tree sites

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor

I never open my tree to anyone at all, full stop. There is absolutely no need to, and I am not interested in looking at other people's trees either!

After satisfying myself that we have a connection, I dribble out info a generation at a time. I never give out info about the living. If contacts don't like the way I work, then they do not have to deal with me.

That must sound really harsh to newbies. However, I have learned the hard way (as have many other people) that once you open your tree, you lose control of it and the information on it.

I have no wish to see my work flying around the internet, attached to the WRONG people. I am very happy to share what information I have about individuals and their families, but I'm NOT giving out my whole tree to someone who is related to my 5 x GGPs.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        But just imagine stumping up for a sub and they STILL don't reply!

OC
        :(:p

I have a distant cousin who is a full member and am now wondering if they have shared the info with these other people. Must contact her and enquire. If NOT, these other members may have done their own research. My clue to accuracy is that one particular person's POB and MMN is only obtainable by getting her birth certificate. She is on the IGI but it is submitted and incorrect. Someone has looked at the censuses and jumped to the wrong conclusion (surely not?! lol)

Maria, thanks. I have sent you a PM. (BTW, this GR stuff is on my dad's side, not the Smiths)
        Rose

Comment

Rose the offer of help is there if you need it, does not matter what side of our family it's on if I can be of any help then just ask

Comment

Thanks cuz. I realise that . I mentioned that incase you were wondering who this elusive ancestor was lol.
            Rose

Comment

Working...
            X