Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error messages when installing FTM 2009.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error messages when installing FTM 2009.

Help! I've got messages I don't stand a chance of understanding! Any interpreters out there?

Is Dave Pusey or Wendy or Elaine or Glen, or anyone who can help, around??

It says 'File missing: BuildNumber.txt is required in the SUPPORTDIR'

It also says other long numbers, including 'CoCreateObjectDotNetError Error Number - 2147219705'

Any clues, anyone? I've uninstalled and cleared out temporary files. Now what?

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Hi Bee, Dave is busy at the moment, but I'll get him to have a look at the error messages later.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy.

Bee.
      Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
      COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

It will probably help if you say what your system is - XP or Vista?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Dave says:

A user on another forum with similar problem solved this by installing Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

Download and Install it from here... Download details: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

If you already have it, don't worry, as it is smart enough to realise and not do anything.

Once you have done this, you will need to restart the installation of FTM 2009 from the beginning.

Hope this helps.
          Wendy

Comment

It's XP, Kite.

Wendy, I'll try that. Wish me luck...!

Bee.
            Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

OOO! It's got further than before! Thank's Wendy and Dave!

I've got an icon on my desktop, and a FTM 09 window telling me I can build my tree by importing an existing file.

Is that via a gedcom, or do I just open the FTM 06 and Export to the new one?

Sorry, can someone talk me through it?

I've clicked on the 'import from existing file', and 'browse' but what suffix does it need to be? My most recent files seem to be on the desktop as 'Current working file', Current backup file' and 'Current compressed backup file' - which one??

I'm lost, again!

Bee.
              Last edited by Bee; 25-09-08, 13:54. Reason: Updated.
              Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Sorry Bee - just seen this - are you still stuck.

First of all I would suggest you make a copy of your current working 2006 file and call it something different - and use the new one to play with on your 2009 program.

When you have made a copy, then open 2009, click on File, and open the newly renamed file. It should hopefully open in 2009 without any problem, unless there has been any drastic change in the main menu features (I don't have my 2009 copy yet).

As for having FTM files scattered over your desktop - they should be all neat and tidy in a separate file in My Documents! :(:(
                Elaine

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.

You should just be able to import one of the old FTM files into the new program.
                  Wendy

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I've imported one file, but it was missing a few people. Couldn't figure out how to unimport(!) and reimport the right one, but it's easier just to add in the last few, as I've still got the info on paper.

It seems fairly nice to use so far. But I'm sure I'll be yelling for help again sometime!

Elaine, I just don't know where they come from! I open and close from the FTM icon every time, but I think I've got an 'extra' working file icon and 2 'extra' backup icons on my desktop. I guess I can dump them in the Bin, can I?

I am remembering to backup to my external hard-drive, so I am getting a bit better!

Bee.
                    Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

The problem is that if FTM opens a file that you have saved on the desktop, when the program closes it will save the back up file to the same place. Now this is not so much a problem if you only have one tree on the go, but if you have more than one you tend to end up with a lot of master files, backup files and compressed files on the desktop.

If you created a folder in My Documents and moved everything there, then every time FTM opens and closes it will save the files in that folder, rather than your desktop. If you do want to do that, I must warn you - once you have moved your files to the new folder in My Docs, the first time you open up FTM it will say that it cannot find your file - this is because you have trained it to look on the desktop and all of a sudden there are no files on the desktop for it to open. All you have to do is to point it in the direction of the new folder that you have created and find the file you want it to open. After the first time, it will react in the same way as it always has by automatically opening the last file you were working with.
                      Elaine

Comment

Elaine, that sounds like a good idea. But -
                        All you have to do is to point it in the direction of the new folder that you have created and find the file you want it to open.
                        - how do I do this?

And as an update to my trying out the FTM '09 - it just shut down on me again! Got a blue screen saying that it has to shut down to save the computer, or something. I turned off the computer manually and restarted it, and the programme did take a worying time to open up, but the stuff I'd put on was still there - PHEW! All backed up now. But I don't know why it does this, when I thought it was all ok!

Bee.
                        Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                          Elaine, that sounds like a good idea. But - - how do I do this?

One way is to find the file first, right-click on it and select "Open with" then choose FTM from the list of possibles. Well, if that's the same in Vista.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Thought it would make sense to C&P this from the FTM board, as I think it's more likely to be seen by computer-savvy people on this one!

I spoke to Tony at TRW Computing, and as he suggested I sent him the number and what the windows were saying:-
                            "C:\DOCUME~1\Mum\Locals~1\Temp\{74671B15-9C20-48A6-998A-BC397012B248}\InLib.dll

More windows revealed when I shut the long-number one -

Window titled ' FTM 2009 InstallShield Wizard - says 'File Missing : BuildNumber.txt is required in the SUPPORTDIR'

Closed that - another window titled CoCreateObjectDotNet Error - Error Number - 214721 9705"

I got an email back:-
                            I’ve done a bit of research on the internet and the following link wioll take you to a message forum where you will see it has more to do with your operating system rather than the FTM program.

Installation problem with FTM 2008

Do please let me know how you get on.

I did take a look, but it didn't help.
                            Then I did what Dave Pusey suggested, and downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.

I've just sent this back to Tony:-
                            "It did enable me to load the programme, but every time I click on the icon to open FTM '09 it spends 2 - 3 minutes 'initiating' the programme! And it takes ages to do anything, eg when I open a new page on there. And I keep getting a blue screen telling me it's had to shut the computer down, then when I restart the computer I get a message telling me it was due to a faulty device or softwear. The upgrade disk is the only new thing I've got on there, and I've only had problems since loading it, so could it be that? If so, do you think you'll need to send me a fresh disk?"

I'm so frustrated! I don't know if the problem is caused by my ignorance or by faulty software, and I just want to play with my new toy!!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Bee.
                            Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              The problem is that if FTM opens a file that you have saved on the desktop, when the program closes it will save the back up file to the same place. Now this is not so much a problem if you only have one tree on the go, but if you have more than one you tend to end up with a lot of master files, backup files and compressed files on the desktop.

If you created a folder in My Documents and moved everything there, then every time FTM opens and closes it will save the files in that folder, rather than your desktop. If you do want to do that, I must warn you - once you have moved your files to the new folder in My Docs, the first time you open up FTM it will say that it cannot find your file - this is because you have trained it to look on the desktop and all of a sudden there are no files on the desktop for it to open. All you have to do is to point it in the direction of the new folder that you have created and find the file you want it to open. After the first time, it will react in the same way as it always has by automatically opening the last file you were working with.
                              Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              One way is to find the file first, right-click on it and select "Open with" then choose FTM from the list of possibles. Well, if that's the same in Vista.
                              I've used the quotes to highlight a couple of points made about managing files and opening files, although i still only use the 2005 version of FTM the file management is as important with 2009 as it is with the very earleist version of the programme. If you have several (duplicate) files on your pc then you can (and probably will) end up with several "partial" files and no single "complete" file on your pc.

See posts #14-#17 on the 2005/6 guide for screenshots and info to explain why and how they come about and also why you should always try and avoid creating duplicate files, renaming a fuile and opening a renamed file.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Sorry, Glen, I don't understand whether that means my tip was good or bad!
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  Sorry, Glen, I don't understand whether that means my tip was good or bad!

Sorry, it was a good tip, emphasised by showing the exact same thing in Vista on the screenshot guide .

Also quoting Elaine because i did a screengrab to illustrate the error message "cannot locate file" that appears in the 05/06 versions.
                                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 26-09-08, 23:39.
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                  X