Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have Lowick and City of Durham parish records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have Lowick and City of Durham parish records?

I decided to try another part of my tree. I am looking for birth, marriage details for my Whale family. I have them on the census.

Edward Whale bapt 11/12/1779 Lowick Northumberland. By 1811 he is living in Kent and is a baker. 1851 he is a pensioner HM Victually Yard Deptford
    His parents were Robert & Elizabeth
    He married Isabella c 1875 City of Durham.

phones ringing :(- be back
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Is 1875 correct for Isabella as you say he was baptised 1779.
    Have you tried Durham Records online?

Durham Records Online: Search Census and Church Records

You could also try Paul Joiners Marriage Index There are some Whale's listed but I don't have any funds on the site to check them out.

Welcome to the Joiner Marriage Index
    Last edited by Durham Lady; 29-04-08, 19:09.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

no i meant 1775:o I will check those sites, thank you
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Hi
        Have you tried the new LDS "Family Search Labs" site. It has Bishops Transcripts for Northumberland and Durham including Lowick. I found out about it from this site so no doubt info is on the WiKi.

Comment

Lowick Baps

Have checked BT's for Lowick from 1760 to 1786,the only mention of the Surname Whale is in 1776 June 9th, Jonah bastard son of John Pickrim of Etal and Eleanor Whale of Barmoor Ridge!

Comment

I do hope his parents got married soon after and let him have his father's surname!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

LOL:D
              Checked the Durham site but dates too late for mine. Will check the LDS one tonight though, I use it a lot for Cheshire sites and didn't realise they had Lowick & Durham.
              Thanks
              Jean

Comment

Lowick had a church and a small chapel (now a house).

The church from 1775 was an old building (12th century). Demolished in the 1790's and a newer building erected on the same site, there were four churches on the mainland which were connected to the Holy Island.

See Lowick in the Northumberland POW project for some details and pictures of the later church.

Bewick records office will have transcripts of the PR's, Linda (the archivist) is worth getting in touch with if you get stuck for online details. Not sure what the current charges are though, contact details for Linda are in the wiki.
                Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-05-08, 20:48.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi
                  Are we talking about Robert, Thomas & Edward, all brothers? If so, the crucial question is, did they all migrate south (in this Country). A number of family lines depend on this, as we cannot find the family roots of our Wale/Whale relatives in Warwickshire prior to c1800 Regards John W.

Comment

have pm'd you
                    Jean

Comment

May well have been baptised in a presbyterian church, considering the close proximity to Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                      X