Wolverhampton Archives on-line records available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverhampton Archives on-line records available

I don't know if this has already been flagged up but In the last few days Wolverhampton Archives have added a number of PDF indexes to their website. They include parish records from as early as 1538 to 1937 in some cases. There is also an index for Merridale Cemetery which is really interesting.

The link is:-

Family History Sources - Wolverhampton History

I have checked some of my research against the contents of the index and they seem very accurate. If anyone needs to check the records out, most parish records are held at Stafford records office as well as Wolverhampton.
    Helen
    Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

I was just about to post that. It's an excellent site, and should be in the Wiki.

Comment

If only all counties would do that.
      Jennie
      Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

I wonder if they're giving their data to FreeReg, or vice versa? I found one of the marriages now on the Wolverhampton site on FreeReg a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          I was just about to post that. It's an excellent site, and should be in the Wiki.
          It was already in the Wiki, but I've added a little note to draw attention to the PR Indexes.
          Sarah

Comment

Oh, sorry, I missed it

Comment

Most of this info has been available on line for a while, if you knew where to look.
              It's expanded a bit, and more easily accessable. I'll be having a good look at the extra bits later.
              I've been sat at work dying to delve into the records.
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Oh, I wish I'd known that. I'd been to that site before, but I hadn't noticed any parish records there.

Comment

Thanks for the link: now a new addition to my Bookmarks.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This is the site I've always used in the past. I just 'googled' Wolverhampton Archives.

Welcome to Wolverhampton Archives and Local Studies

and then select 'church records' from the quick links.

There are records for Willenhall, Bilston, Wolverhampton & Wednesfield - you need to use them in conjunction with each other, as some didn't do marriages at one time, and burials might be in another one.

There is even a list of the victims of the 1832 cholera outbreak somewhere on the site.
                    Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 14-04-08, 20:34.
                    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Thanks Helen just spent nearly 3hrs on the web-site. Found 6 baptism's, 1 burial, 1 marriage.
                      Decorating.....what decorating?????

ShirleyMay

Comment

Working...
                      X