Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldreive Family

Post Oldreive Family

Hello All
    I am researching my Family Tree. My last name is "Oldreive"
    I have traced a tree from my grand son 2008 right through to my G G Grandfather "Charles Oldreive" born 1815 in Plymouth Devon married to Mary Ann Knight 1817 Plymouth Devon, I can find on their marriage certificate 1846 St Helier, Jersey that shows Charlie's Father was William Oldreive There is no location for his father or a name for his Mother listed.
    I have been stuck at this point for quite some time. I am looking for anything that might help.

Other spellings of the name is Oldreeve(1600 ?) Oldrieve(1652) Oldive(1708)
    Oldrive(1757) Oldreive(1837)

The history of the name as I believe it is as follows:
    In England, a reeve was an official elected annually by the serfs to supervise lands for a lord. The reeve himself was a serf. He had many duties such as making sure the serfs started work on time and ensuring that no one was cheating the lord out of money. The system was introduced by the Saxons, dating at least to the 7th century, and continued after the Norman conquest.
    The reeve of an entire shire was a Shire-reeve, predecessor to the Sheriff.

I guess an Old reeve would have been know as the Oldreeve ?

As I was told by my late Father we were related to a reeve of lands held by the Royal family on the Jersey isle. Not exactly sure if this is true but I can see were the name may have evolved from.

I hope this will help
    Thank you
    Graham Oldreive
    Looking for "Oldreive, Oldrieve, Oldreeve, Oldrive, Oldive".

Blog Entries
    Hi Graham welcome to the forum

I don't know if you have had a look at our Wiki (reference library of sorts), but there are a few Jersey links which you might find useful

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...hannel_Islands
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

I know absolutely nothing about Jersey, or Jersey research, but I am uneasy that anyone with sturdy ENGLISH connections to an ancient name like Oldreeve, would come from Jersey.

The passage of centuries would have rendered the name into something quite different in Jersey, I would have thought, as they have their own French patois.

But as I say, I know nothing of the history of Jersey.

Welcome to the Site, by the way!

OC

Blog Entries
    Just a quick question Graham, does the marriage cert state Williams occupation?

There is a William Oldreive and family on the 1841 Devon census, but no Charles with them, but he may have been lodging somewhere else

Also have you tried contacting the Devon family history society? They sell indexes for certain parishes.
    Last edited by vikki brace; 25-02-08 at 17:47.
    Vikki -

Quote Originally Posted by vikki brace View Post
    Just a quick question Graham, does the marriage cert state Williams occupation?

There is a William Oldreive and family on the 1841 Devon census, but no Charles with them, but he may have been lodging somewhere else

Also have you tried contacting the Devon family history society? They sell indexes for certain parishes.
    There is no mention of occupation on the cert just the name listed under fathers name. What strike me is they did not fill in his Mothers name? both of the Brides Parents are listed. The other problem is that the name William was very very poplar in the Oldreive family.there is at least 2 in each generation so far and most have or show no middle name. The majority of the Oldreive men have been trades people Carpenters Plumbers etc and a few Merchant and lot of Navy folks. Does the census give a wifes name?

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about Jersey, or Jersey research, but I am uneasy that anyone with sturdy ENGLISH connections to an ancient name like Oldreeve, would come from Jersey.

The passage of centuries would have rendered the name into something quite different in Jersey, I would have thought, as they have their own French patois.

But as I say, I know nothing of the history of Jersey.

Welcome to the Site, by the way!

OC
    I agree completely with your observation and this is why I am so interested with finding out my roots as it be.I am asked so many time what the origin of my Surname is and really I don't really know just some unverified stories is all i really know. I believe The origin is from the Plymouth are in Devon.

And Thank I feel right at home here already.

Graham

Blog Entries
    Hi Graham

Here are the details from the 1841 census (The ages of people over 15 years old were usually rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Therefore, someone who was actually 24 years would have their age listed as 20, and someone who was actually 27 years old would have their age listed as 25.)

William Oldreive age 50 - Yeoman (all born in County)
    Elizabeth Oldreive age 50
    Mary Oldreive age 20
    Ann Oldreive age 18
    James Oldreive age 15
    Elizabeth Oldreive age 10

Living in Stokefleming, Devon - HO107; Piece 212; Book: 12; Folio: 7; Page: 11

I am still looking for Charles, will keep you posted
    Vikki -

Blog Entries
    I just had a look on the 1851 census for Jersey and I notice Mary Ann is listed as a widow

St Helier, jersey

Head - Mary A Oldreive age 32 Housekeeper
    Son - Charles age 14 Scholar
    Dau - Elizabeth age 12 Scholar
    Dau - Emeline age 6 scholar
    Son - Wiliiam age 4 at home
    Dau - Louisa age 2 at home

HO107; Piece: 2527; Folio: 281; Page: 16

(going offline now, will probably be back later)
    Last edited by vikki brace; 25-02-08 at 19:08.
    Vikki -

Right, flights of wild fancy here......

There is obviously some sort of connection between Jersey and Devon as far as this family are concerned.

I wonder how far back you would need to go, to find land in Jersey which was owned or tenanted by someone from Devon? Possibly many centuries, but can you see where I am coming fron, here?

The Old Reeve in say, 1235, for a Devon Manor, might have been seconded to Jersey to look after the Devon Manor Lord's interests over there. Such duties often devolved down the same family for centuries.

So the story of a Royal connection might be nearer the truth than you think. A trusted Reeve, sent to look after the monarch's interests, that same monarch having manorial holdings in England.

Hmmm...al you need to do now is to read up on the history of Jersey and find out who all the Manor Lords were - possibly back to the Normans, which would tie English, French, Monarchs and Manor Lords neatly back into one common interest!

OC

Smile

Well I have managed to get some were lately but not to far.
    I have linked William B 1757 M 1785 to Mary Pope B ? Stoke Flemming Devon
    William is the son of Arthur B 1730 Married to Joan ? date unknown Stoke Flemming Devon Arthur is son of Arthur B 1712 D 1869 Slapton Devon Wife Unknown.
    Not bad for a new guy I think.
    I thank you all for your help, I have gotten so involved in this it seems to be taking up all my days but a last I must go back to work in a week My winter off went by so fast, Now the Spring Summer Fall craziness starts. I do lawn care . I will still be here just not as often.