No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub the last point! A George Harding married Anaslasia (sic) Hawkins 29 Nov 1807, Alverstoke (M073576)

Comment

• Also....

WILLIAM GEORGE BRIDGEAUX KIMBER chr. 12 Sep 1830 St. Mary's Portsea (C062614) - parents William and Anastasia
      LOUISA ANN KIMBER born 26 Aug 1834, chr. 26 Mar 1837 DITTO - parents William and Anastalia (!)
      ELIZABETH JANE KIMBER chr. 26 Mar 1837 DITTO - William and Anastalia (!)

Comment

• Thanks so much Bertie, Louisa Ann Kimber was my G G Grandmother. I wanted to find out Anastasia's background so giving me the maiden name should help, thanks so much. Where is the best place to search to continue trying to find the Brideaux/Hawkins link ? best wishes, Anna-Louise

Comment

• If George and Anastasia are still alive in 1851 that should give you a clue as to where they originate and you can do a detailed search of that and nearby parishes. With somewhat unusual names, a detailed search of familysearch should repay your effort. For example, just entering brideaux in the searhc box show 5 christenings and 2 marriages in Portsea / Portsmouth / Gosport and there are only 40 odd entries. This shows Philip Brideuax married Jane and had several children, but there was also a William Brideaux who had children. So definintely worth putting all the relationships down on paper and trying to connect them - be creative in different spellings of the surname! (it is likely that with a combination of mis-recordings and mis-transcriptions that all sorts of changes could occur!)

Interestingly an Elizabeth Brideaux married Charles Hawkins 28 Feb 1791, St. Mary's Portsea (M062612) Poss parents of Anastasia? - if you look at knighroots you'll see that Charles was a widower (so check previous marriage) and a witness was Prudence Brideaux.

Also on knightroots is burial at St. Mary's of Elizabeth Brideau of Marylebone Street on 1 Apr 1815 age 76.

hope this gives you a few clues to chase!

Comment

• Just as an example see the following which may indicate the family name is Prideaux.....

Comment

• As an example of different spellings...William Brideux married Elizabeth Snelling 8 May 1768 St. Mary's (so Elizabeth burial above is poss. her!) and gives you Snelling to go for too!

BTW the Prudence , who was witness to Eliz marriage to Charles, married James Hewett Meaker 6 Jul 1801 St, Mary's Portsea - so Prudence is sister to Eliz?

Comment

• As a matter of interest, Gosport has a road named Prideaux-Brune Avenue. Most of the street names of Gosport have an historical reason!

Worth thinking about!

Lesley

Comment

• Another suggestion Anna-Louise is to look at the National Archives site: it's always worth a look for someone with Alverstoke / Gosport or Portsea / Portsmouth connections because of the fantastic naval and maritime records they have. Just pop in a variety of names and see what comes up.

This one in particular caught my eye:

ADM 106/1185/307, and dated 10 Nov 1770 (!)

"Petition of Phillip Brideaux. Is 55 years of age and has served in Portsmouth Yard for 19 years and 10 years at Chatham and was discharged by Mr. Cockburn three years ago. Is now employed in the Merchant service but asks to be entered in the yard to be near his family as suggested by Mr. Hughes" same Phillip as above? If so, you have an idea of his birth year (c 1715) and poss. birth location Kent...but you'll need to do more digging. If you go to Kew you will be able to see the petition itself I presume or perhaps more details.

This gives a few ideas for further research!

Comment

• BTW - I think the likelihood is that it is the same Philip Brideaux who married Jane Bikerdike (poss. mistranscription!) in St. Thomas Portsmouth on 05 Jun 1738, and father to Jane and Mary at least. A Jane Bickerdike was chr. 22 Dec 1720, Holy Trinity, Gosport parents William and Mary

Comment

• This is so fascinating, I am hooked to find out more and will follow these leads. Interestingly one of my sister's best friends at nursery school was a Prideaux but I had never heard of Brideaux and wonder if it is a Huguenot origin. Thank you for your help, any more ideas will continue to be gratefully received.
                      Anna-Louise

Comment

• Lesley, Ray
                        I am new to this forum - I see you have been researching the Whitcomb's - I am descended from Charles Whitcomb son of Thomas Whitcomb and Sarah Scarlet.
                        I would be interested to see the details of his marriage to Sophia as I have not been able to trace her parentage - (will have a look at her death record next time I am in Cape Town) .
                        Also would like to know Sarah's ancestry
                        Happy to swap info

Regards
                        Gillian

Comment

• Hi Gillian,

This is a real breakthrough! I'm also researching the 'early' Whitcomb family and am also trying to trace the parentage of Sophia. That she existed is beyond dispute, however it appears that she may have been adopted (or whatever was the 'system' in the early 18th Century)????? All I can contribute at this time is that I'm the descendant of a George Whitcomb born in Gosport circa 1772, (George) most likely Uncle of your Charles Whitcomb?

I have a GEDCOM file of my researches to date, although the references may not be included. I will email this to you when I have an address,

Regards

Ray

Comment

• Dear Punch's Mum,
                            There are a couple of little bits of information I would be happy to have - when you have time.
                            I would like you to check the burial record for Elizabeth Whitcomb on 26 Nov 1797 in Gosport or Alverstoke. I am interested to see if it gives an age or identifies a husband. I am also looking for a death of Charlotte Whitcomb d. of Thomas, sometime between her baptism 17 Aug 1768 and 1791.
                            Thankyou
                            Julia

Comment

• Whitcombs

Dear Punches mum

if you are browsing through Whitcomb's can you please look at this record and see if you can confirm if it is Thomas and Sarah's daughter Caroline

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

record title: England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991
                              name: Caroline Whitcomb
                              burial date: 15 Oct 1811
                              burial place: Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
                              batch number: I04086-0
                              record group: England-EASy

Thanks

Gillian

Comment

• Gillian and Julia

I am back in action again now after a short break!

Will see what I can find for you both re those Whitcombs!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for gmauchan for Whitcomb of Alverstoke

Hello Gillian,

Found the burial record of Caroline Whitcomb but it seems records of that era show no more than you already know. It just gives the name and date of burial. No record of parents or age.

Lesley

Comment

• Lookup for cauncej for Whitcombs

Hello Julia,

As per the previous post for Gillian. Records of that era do not give any detailed info. other than what you already know.

I did a quick search for the death of Charlotte Whitcomb, but blanket searches are too time consuming as the fiches are sometimes very feint and difficult to read. Also, there were baptisms on the same page which is confusing!

Sorry I could not be of any help.

Lesley
                                    Last edited by Punchs mum; 10-08-10, 09:14. Reason: typing error

Comment

• This is a very special THANK YOU to Lesley who has been doing family look-ups for me - as they involved living, or potentially living, people there has been little posted on this board but a lot of PM work. Thank you Lesley: I really appreciate your research!

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                                        Please would it be possible to look for this marriage to see if there any Fathers & witnesses named, I am hoping that Henry father was William.
                                        Marriage HENRY SNOW & LOUISA SNOW Marriage: 21 JUL 1850 Alverstoke,
                                        Thank you very much.
                                        Ann E

Comment

• Hello again Ann E

Will have a look for you when I am at the Study Centre next. Please check back on thread again as I will let you know one way or the other if I have found anything for you.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X