Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the badges??

Hello all

Was just wondering if any one knew what the badges were on Grandads sleeve Esspecially the star?

Kelly, what nationality was your Grandfather? The three stripes would indicate that he was a sergeant, the star could indicate he was a staff sergeant but I do not know what the coloured flashes mean. The whole uniform does'nt look british to me

Comment

Well,

a guess he was a sergeant the three chevrons indicate this, perhaps the colours on the boards, indicate he was a colour sergeant?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hello Pilgrim
        He was British but I know he was stationed all over the world he spent some time in Germany and India as well as alot of other places that people have mentioned to me, I know he was in the RTR as it was the only part of his army life he ever spoke about and still wore his tank badge on a blazor when he was in his eightys.
        Just wish I could find out a bit more about his army life!

Comment

Hi Julie sorry ingorance on my behalf! whats a colour sergeant?

Comment

after a bit of hunting

Regimental quartermaster-sergeants wore four chevrons on the lower sleeve, point upwards, with a star above, but adopted the crown when they too became warrant officers class II in 1915. In their case, however, the crown was surrounded by a wreath. Regimental sergeant-majors, who before the Boer War had worn four chevrons with a crown, were given in 1902 the badge of a single large crown on the lower arm, but adopted a small version of the Royal arms in its place in 1915 when they became warrant officers class I.

you will need to look at section 2, ORIGINS

British Army Other Ranks rank insignia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Julie

Comment

I think your best bet would be to PM "Don.t" he is a member here and knows alot about identifiying stuff,

dunno what a colour sergeant is perhaps Don will enlighten us?

Have seen them mentioned before, but am at a loss, sorry
              Julie

Comment

How confusing Julie!!!

Thankyou vey much am off to have a read through at a slow pace so I can take it all in!

Comment

ooooo before you do, have you seen this?

Royal Tank Regiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Julie

Comment

Julie thats wonderful even mentions the 11th RTR which I can't seem to find much about! have already pmed Don, hope he dosn't mind.

Comment

Glad its of some use

I dont think Don will mind, (and Don, you can slap me if you like...) ;)

Hopefully we'll be able to find out a bit more
                      Julie

Comment

Time to put Kelly out of her misery :D

Starting from the top (so to speak) the dark and light patch on his shoulder tab would be his regimental flash. Underneath is a diabolo (the one that looks like an egg timer). in this case it is a dark colour which I suspect would have been black on both triangles if this was the case then it was the emblem for the 25th Tank Brigade and would be before the white maple leaf was added to the top section. Below this is the single stripe in two colours which is the "arm of service stripe" in this case possibly the armoured division. as for the star in a circle this could be a unit insiginia (I am still looking for this one). A colour sergeant or staff sergeant would have a crown in the middle of the chevrons. To complete his uniform of Battle Dress he would also have a black beret with the regimental badge on it.

don

Comment

Oh Don thank you so much, You are an angel

The Beret he still had when I was a child I will have to ring round the family to see if I can find it although the cap badge I have and have had it mounted on a plaque,

Just one more question Don (sorry) do you think this picture was taken before during or a ww2? he severd for 20 odd years so its always hard for me to tell!

Thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by kelly smith View Post
                            Oh Don thank you so much, You are an angel
                            Just one more question Don (sorry) do you think this picture was taken before during or a ww2? he severd for 20 odd years so its always hard for me to tell!
                            Oh help .... what colour are the chevrons ? I keep googling and getting nowhere ! :(

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The Battle Dress uniform was introduced in the March of 1939 and was to replace the Service Dress for the British Army but saying that not all units received their new kit straight away as units of the Territorial Forces were going to France in 1940 still kitted out in the old Service Dress. In (and from) 1944 the Battle Dress uniform blouse (the blouse being the outer jacket) was being worn with a collar and tie (all khaki) when off duty this did not become offical until 1947. So to start with this photograph was taken between 1939 and 1947 but the date can be narrow down still further as the blouse show's pleating to the pockets and overflaps to the central buttons and pockets (covering the pocket button). Pleating and flaps where discontinued in 1942 due to the need to conserve material thus being victim of the then ecomony drives that were happening at that time. Sooooooo, I would say that this photograph was taken between 1939 and 1942.

As for the colouration for the chevron's these (in general) would be white (or off white depending on how long they had been up) on a khaki backing.

don

Comment

Bob,........

Hadn't thought about the trade badges as my mind was thinking more on the others being what I have said. well done.

don

Comment

Don and Bob thank you so much I didn't expect to get such a narrow time frame you know your stuff alright!

Comment

Please are any of you experts around ?

I have a tiny photo which may be my grandfather, which I'd forgotten about

I've given it a quick clean and crop and would love to know if the regiment/rank is identifiable or is there anything you can tell me about it ? ... a date would be helpful

I do know when grandfather was born but don't want to influence any ideas you may have.

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachel,

The only thing that I can really say about this photograph is that it is of the first world war period. As there are no medal ribbons up it would predate 1919. What was his name Rachel.

don

Comment

Originally posted by don.t View Post
                                        Hi Rachel,
                                        The only thing that I can really say about this photograph is that it is of the first world war period. As there are no medal ribbons up it would predate 1919. don

Thank you don ... now that I've looked at it on the website as opposed to the computer screen, I can see that the features are almost definitely grandad's
                                        (there's an earlier one of him on page 1 of the "100 year old photographs" thread).
                                        He was born in 1903 and I do know that he was in the Royal Artillery WW2 .... and very likely WW1 also.

Comment

Working...
                                        X