Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• google chrome

I hope this makes sense to someone.

A while ago I swapped from IE to Google Chrome as my IE was not compatible with Ancestry website. This morning my Google home page has a message to say that there will be no more Google Chrome updates 'soon' as it no longer supports Windows XP or Vista (my OS).

Can you suggest what my next step should be (short of buying a new PC!)

With thanks
    Bev
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

I'm worried too as I dont really like any others

Comment

Hi Val, I have had the same message, my operating system is Vista, I hope it dont mean that Microsoft will also be abandoning Vista Robert

Comment

The reality is that Chrome will probably carry on working quite happily on your Vista machine for ages, but gradually you may start to have issues with websites that contain code or elements that your system can no longer support. The real issue is not your browser, but your old operating system.

Mainstream support (service packs and major changes) from Microsoft for Vista finished in 2012, their extended support (which just means the essential security updates) will stop in April 2017.

Answers to frequently asked questions about the lifecycle policy for Windows products.
        Last edited by AntonyM; 31-01-16, 14:03.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

its worrying because of security issues, I still have vista but was about to upgrade to windows 10 think I will have to now
          Thats a relief Anthony thanks
          Last edited by Guest; 31-01-16, 14:05.

Comment

Hi AnthonyM, thanks for that info, much appreciated. Robert

Comment

Thanks AnthonyM

I can rest easy for a little while then!

I might just have to bite the bullet in the end and go for Windows 10 - just not yet.

Bev
              Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Working...
              X