Backup or export--which to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup or export--which to use

This has been covered before but I don't recall the answer. I need to back up my 4 trees to an external hard drive and wonder which is the correct procedure for doing so. In the menu I can "backup" or "export"--which should I be using?

thanks

brian

I don't do either. I just open two windows, one for the external hard drive and one on the computer, then copy the whole set of files by dragging and dropping (holding down CTR so it copies rather than moves) onto the external drive.
    Anne

Comment

Brian,
      You don't say what software you are using.

I do the same as Anne and that is to back up my data files by transferring manually to an external source.

However, out of the two, backup or export, I think I would choose backup.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
        I don't do either. I just open two windows, one for the external hard drive and one on the computer, then copy the whole set of files by dragging and dropping (holding down CTR so it copies rather than moves) onto the external drive.
        Anne
        thank you for responding. I am using windows 7 and FTM '14

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          Anne
          Drag and drop would be the simplest way to do this. You will have to correct me but I thought that all the photographs and some of the other media within family tree maker are only "links" to where it is stored on the HD and are not necessarily saved along with the text data when a backup is done. In other words when I copy a photograph from my photoshop program to family tree maker media for an individual that photo is not stored within the family tree maker program. It just establishes a "link" in FTM to the location of the photo somewhere else on the HD. So, backing up or exporting FTM to an ext. HD won't actually save the photo media at the same time. Do I have this right?

Comment

Which version of FTM are you using?
            Elaine

Comment

Sorry, I use Family Historian and all the stuff is kept together.
              Anne

Comment

back up
                This backs up your main FTM file and all the media linked to it

I only use Export if I want to save only a specific section of the tree for others to use

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Which version of FTM are you using?
                  Using 2014 Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                    back up
                    This backs up your main FTM file and all the media linked to it

I only use Export if I want to save only a specific section of the tree for others to use
                    Thanks Trevor for the reply. The word "linked" that you used is what I'm not clear on. Say I back up a complete family file to an ext. HD after which my computer crashes. Now I will purchase a new HD and install all my programs including FTM 2014. When I attempt to import my family file from the ext. HD back into FTM will all the photographic media be imported as well or---was the "link" lost when the computer crashed?

Comment

Originally posted by dunkinidaho View Post
                      Using 2014 Elaine
                      By default your data file is stored in My Documents, in a folder called Family Tree Maker.
                      If you check that folder you should see two files with your tree name - one is a FTM Family File and the other is a FTM Backup File. The backup file is created every time you shut down FTM. You should also see a folder which will be called treename Media. This folder contains all the media you have attached to your tree - open and take a look what is there!

When you do your drag and drop then if you copy the whole Family Tree Maker folder (in Documents) over to your external drive then you will be backing up your data plus your media.
                      Elaine

Comment

The back up backs up the FTM file AND all the media files that are linked to it

Originally posted by dunkinidaho View Post
                        Thanks Trevor for the reply. The word "linked" that you used is what I'm not clear on. Say I back up a complete family file to an ext. HD after which my computer crashes. Now I will purchase a new HD and install all my programs including FTM 2014. When I attempt to import my family file from the ext. HD back into FTM will all the photographic media be imported as well or---was the "link" lost when the computer crashed?

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Backup or export--which to use

Still not absolutely clear on whether to use the BU function or Export function to back up my family files. I know that export is used when a gedcom is needed. What I am not certain of is if the backup function backs up all "person notes" as well as all media, resources etc. Basically everything that is in the family file at the time of backup.

thanks

Comment

I have merged your earlier thread with this one to aid anyone who helped you before.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                            X