No announcement yet.

Windows 10 free upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son got his this morning. Not sure if I want to change just yet.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I'll def wait a couple of months at least untill all the wrinkles start to get ironed out. There's plenty of tome to do the free upgrade.
      Anne

Comment

Hello Caroline,
        The BBC link is very good and well worth viewing.
        I take 'Which Computing Magazine 'and in this Quarters magazine has some good reading on the subject. It says that you can change back to an earlier version in some cases as long as it is done within 30 days. Please do not take my word for gospel as it is very complex and depends on so many factors. You can view this magazine in most libraries.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Microsoft Edge, the browser that comes with Windows 10 does not work properly with Ancestry yet I'me getting a message which tells me they are trying to iron out some problems, and I cannot post here using it (I go back to chrome or Internet Explorer) but other than that I'm finding Windows 10 fine.

Comment

Interesting about Edge and Ancestry I wonder what the problem is? I am using Edge to write this post so it will be interesting to see if it works.

However, I have to say that I do not like it's interface the icons in the address bar are too big and take up valuable screen space.

David

Comment

At this point Edge is working to post here. I have been able to view everything on my Ancestry tree though had problems adding records.

Comment

Windows 10 (Hints and Tips!!)

Had my free upgrade this morning, the whole cycle took about an hour and there were no hangups.

It is different to win8, no denying that, but different in I think a nice way.

Everything seems to come to hand, the way the apps are used has changed, now the apps have been changed to a alphabetical list as there are so many of them with the

exception of your commonly used ones which are listed first in the pecking order. The whole process of accessing files has been made easier, have not done much of that

as I am still in the learning curve, but I think I will be happy with the end results.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I really dislike the blocky layout the general darkness and lack of ways to improve the appearance, but will get used to it. I've tweaked it as much as I can and hope it is something that improves later. Edge is incredibly old fashioned looking.

Just look out for possible problems I had on the PC (HP Envy Touchscreen) but not the laptop (Samsung). I wasn't able to save anything in Documents or OneDrive on the PC and had to fiddle with the properties to give All Users all permissions. Both were 8.1 and upgraded on different days. I also had a problem on the PC with the mouse getting stuck and losing the cursor and sometimes the keyboard too, but the follow up upgrades seem to have fixed that.

And it's already been mentioned that ancestry doesn't like Edge.

Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

My Acer laptop did ok in the upgrade. Hubby's Asus lost all functions of the touchpad. Both were previously Win8.1 and upgraded on the same day. Mine took 1.75 hours plus fiddling with settings in Edge. His took 2.5 hours plus fiddling plus finding and installing a solution to the touchpad issue.
                    The solution for Asus laptop is to use add/remove programs to remove Smart Gestures. Then go to Asus UK site, then support. Enter your model number, choose Windows 10 operating system then downloads. Choose Touchpad and download it and then install.
                    Either plug in mouse or use the touchscreen if you have this facility to do this process.

Comment

Firefox now keeps crashing and I had to get my Norton sorted as it wouldn't work properly after the upgrade. IE is also now very slow.
                      Judith

To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
                      -- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Comment

Originally posted by Bird of the South View Post
                        Firefox now keeps crashing and I had to get my Norton sorted as it wouldn't work properly after the upgrade. IE is also now very slow.
                        I have had to refresh Firefox on both machines now - it made a huge difference to speed, the crashing and also the issues I was having with the Start Menu misbehaving on the PC. The message popped up on the laptop for no apparent reason as I wasn't having any issues there, but I tracked it down for the PC as I wanted to see if it would sort things there and it did:

Caroline
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Upgraded to Win 10 (from Win 7) a couple of days ago. So far no issues. The upgarde took perhaps an hour or an hour and half. Applications all seem to work although my fingerprint reader does not have a driver under Win 10 yet. I'm using Firefox as my broswer and again no issues.

I didn't like what I saw of Win 8/8.1 so avoided it. However, 10 seems to have lost the worst elements of 8/8.1. It is still a different presentation but I can get use to it.

Any questions, just ask away and I'll see waht i can find out for you.

Comment

Rather than have several threads about Windows 10, the two current ones have been merged and any others will also be merged.
                            Caroline

Comment

One thing that is happening with w10 and doesn't please me one little bit is the number of pop ups that now occur, things like Reimage for one, there are a couple of others

as well but what is annoying some of them do not even have the courtesy of a delete X, just remind me later, so they keep popping up from time to time.

Is there any way of permanently deleting these little annoyances?
                              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I installed Windows 10 a few days ago and had a few issues including not being able to open trees in FTM. I received an error message saying "Failed to open filename.ftm File already open". In view of this and the other issues, I took advantage of the ability to revert to Windows 7. Everything was now fine except that the same error message appeared. I contacted Ancestry who gave me step by step instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling FTM and this I did. Initially, the same message occurred but I had only reinstalled FTM 2012. I then reinstalled FTM 2014 and had the same message except that instead of saying "File already open", it simple said "Unknown error". I have tried restoring my trees both from on PC backups and also from Carbonite but so far I am unable to open any of my trees. I have five trees of which three are linked to Ancestry. In the earlier process, I tried unlinking and relinking but again without success. Can anyone help me?

Comment

Having reinstalled FTM, have you checked for updates?
                                  Elaine

Comment

May have asked/answered elsewhere, but - does anyone know if you can upgrade directly from XP to W10?

Comment

Not for free from XP! Also it seems to be indicated in the computer magazine I read that computers running XP are likely to be under specification for Win 10.
                                      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                        Having reinstalled FTM, have you checked for updates?
                                        - yes - all updates applied. I am getting really frustrated!

Comment

I got this today when my Firefox updated, it gives tips on updating to windows 10 and worth a look first, I have not decided yet and will wait a while before updating to 10 myself.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                          X