Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

free upgrade to Windows 10 for a year - will you be doing it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free upgrade to Windows 10 for a year - will you be doing it?

Having settled down with my Windows 7 after Windows XP debacle, now wondering what will be involved in upgrading to this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022
    Liz

I'd give it a go. Wonder when it will arrive fully functioning? I am not keen on beta versions. Would probably wait a few months after release in case it turns out to be rubbish.

Comment

Thanks Galloway Lass.
      Liz

Comment

I think that perhaps this is Microsoft's effort to get users away from Windows 7 before we get a repeat of the XP problem. Windows 7 mainstream support ended on 15th of this month so you have to wonder at the timing of this announcement. I for one will be taking up this offer but, as Galloway Lass says, I will wait for a while until it settles.

David

Comment

When I used to repair machines for people, the faults (software) I had to sort out were almost always as a result of an upgrade/update/installation that had gone wrong so now my general rule when it comes to computers is always .....

"if it works, leave it alone !"

My main desktop (running 8.1 with Classic Shell front end) is working very well , and always has, so I will wait and see the feedback before deciding on this one.

I may take a chance with one of my laptops though as an experiment to see how the new OS looks/feels.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I wasn't overly keen on moving from XP >>Vista but I got used to it, [and tbh it wasn't THAT different!] then came Vista >>>win7 again not that different really

I have played with win 8 and once you get over 'how' it searches, then it is pretty much the same as win7. I guess really that folks will have to get used to it, as support for older O/S' are phased out [pretty much the same when Ancestry fiddle and bring out improvements ] you DO get used to them, even if you moan about it.

will I give it a go???

yes I will, that way I will have more time to get used to the interface of it!
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-01-15, 11:58.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, David, Anthony and Julie...I will wait to see how you all get on.

I am gearing up for Spring when BT Fast Broadband will be operational here. They are digging up roads as I speak!
              Liz

Comment

Here is an interesting Q & A about upgrading to Windows 10 in the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...tions-answered

I can't cope with so am leaving it until I absolutely have to do something.

Our superfast broadband should be available beg. Sept. Whoopee.
                Liz

Comment

Upgraded to 10
                  No loss of my files
                  No problem with exisiting applications
                  The only issue was I hate the new browser (Edge), but with some customisation, it now works the way I want it.

Upgraded from Win7
                  Old version of Windows is archived for 30 days, which allows you to restore back to Win7 if you want.

Now rewriting all my teaching materials to reflect the new way that Windows works

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

We have a more recent thread about Windows 10 here:

Rather than have two threads on the go, I have closed this one.

Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                    X