Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
    Well I'm cross with myself because earlier in the evening I scribbled down
    James s/o James (hairdresser) & Rebecca bp 21 Nov - I know it was Stamford, and within the 1780/95 time frame but not sure which parish or the year.
    The phone went and I needed to open up another site to look something up for the caller, and I must have closed the open page. I THINK it could have been c1791/2 because I was thinking about James showing in some census returns c1793. Now, of course, I can't find it :(

With regard to the Chelsea Pension/discharge papers, no-one has added that he first served from April 1809, then re-enlisted in another corps in 1817. (That was in County Cork, Ireland.) I've only just studied it properly myself - sorry, I'm not very good with military matters.

Jay
    Hi Jay, He seemed to transfer to another regiment as you say whilst in Fermoy, Co. Cork - 38ft to 46th I think - it may not have been his choice because I have a feeling the 46th Reg may be the regiment for the unfit, old and worn out soldiers and he certainly had longstanding leg ulcers which couldn't have done very well in Madras.
    He was a widower when he married his wife and I was speculation with Vera that he may have married whilst overseas and also widowed for the first time then - shame relatives aren't mentioned in these military documents. He returned from Madras, India, when he was finally discharged after over 22years service. I think he was 42 on discharge which means he didn't sign on until he was 20 - plenty of time to have a civilian job (he was in fact a cordwainer) and a first marriage perhaps whilst still in England - haven't found one though.
    Unable to find him on a census (should have made the 1841 census) or any sign of him at all after his return.

Sue

Comment

• Jay

Must work out how you copy other's posts

With regard to the Chelsea Pension/discharge papers, no-one has added that he first served from April 1809, then re-enlisted in another corps in 1817. (That was in County Cork, Ireland.) I've only just studied it properly myself - sorry, I'm not very good with military matters.

That is on Post 18

I recall the 'hairdresser'. I think it may have been on LincsLinks.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by Sue1 View Post

Unable to find him on a census (should have made the 1841 census) or any sign of him at all after his return.

Sue
        Sue I thought for now we were working on James Rowland b 1788/9 Stamford being the one in 1841 in Hull with Mr Johnson, Mary Rowland, James aged 11 and William Jubb 15 year old shoe apprentice. He is later found living in the same house in Northampton with James b 1831 Donington and Eliza Godfrey b 1834

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 27-11-14, 03:39.

Comment

• You are absolutely right Vera but I was only replying to Jay - I am suitably admonished! It is, of course, better to stick with one line at a time and indeed it will get very confusing otherwise. I am back with James 1788/9.

Sue
          (to copy others posts just click on "reply with quote")
          Last edited by Sue1; 27-11-14, 12:30.

Comment

• I also was investigating James ALLEGED born 1788 at Stamford.
            The discharge paper suggests dob of 1788, 1841 census c 1791, 1851 census c1792, 1861 census c1788 - so a movable feast, as it were.
            As I believe all these refs were for the same man, I wanted to investigate ANY James Rowland birth at Stamford, 1785 to 1795, in the hope of finding one or more set of potential parents. None of us can find the 1788 bp (James s/o Samuel) given on family search; I'm cross with myself that I can't now find the bp for James s/o hairdresser James & Rebecca, which seemed to fit in that time span.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

• FOUND IT!

Stamford ST MICHAEL
              bp 21 NOV 1791 James s/o James & Rebecca Rowland (looking again now, there is a possibility this surname could be NEwland:( - but at least it's satisfied me that I did NOT imagine the entry.)

Jay

ETA - familysearch has transcribed it as Newland
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 27-11-14, 14:47.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

• That's good Jay. So annoying when that happens. Will take a look.

I'm currently looking at the Apprentice Records to see if William Jubb is on there and the name given for his father. Should be James b 1789 as stepfather.

Vera

Comment

• Yes unfortunately think its more likely to be an N there is a Robinson just above for comparison. Still you found it again.

I do love those records for LincsLinks

Vera

Comment

• Sue/Jay

Found this thread on the 48th foot Northamptonshire

I know very little about the military but the link refers to the 48th foot being in NSW during the period 1817-1824.

Couldn't understand where the link was with Canada and think it was the 34th foot ?Cumberland that was there from ?1808 to 1814. They then returned to Ireland for 3 years when they were disbanded

So if that is correct, James could have married in Ireland or NSW.
                    Last edited by vera2013; 27-11-14, 18:02.

Comment

• Thanks Vera, Book sounds interesting - have copied ISBN nos and title and will ask local library if they can get it for me.
                      Have requested things from them before, however, and never yet have they managed it!
                      More difficult even, may be finding marriage record - unless very lucky they may well have been destroyed in a fire at the Record Dept in Dublin in ?1820-?1920. If they were Catholic records, which I imagine they were not since all the Rowland baptism were C of E, they may not even exist because the RCs were not allowed to keep records at one time but can't remember the dates.

Sue

Sue

Comment

• Have just found on FSOrg that Samuel Rowland DID marry in India (Madras).

His wife was Hannah Maria (unknown maiden name)
                        born 1794
                        died: Poonamallee, Madras, India
                        bu 13 July 1819
                        Spouses name: Samuel Rowland

Will check on Indian Website tomorrow for possible children (burials)

Sue
                        Last edited by Sue1; 28-11-14, 00:21.

Comment

• You may have seen this Sue. So there was a James Rowland who served in Australia but so far no evidence that he remained there as others did.

Vera

Comment

• Hi Vera, I know of that website but had forgotten about it. He is certainly there in Australia and I think we can be sure he didn't stay!
                            As you will probably have seen on pm, I have found a wife for him who died age 25 in Madras. I am now looking a) for the marriage and b) for children (births and deaths of them) - as far as is known he certainly didn't come home with any little ones.
                            I found the death of his wife on FSOrg.
                            India Office Family Research is good but you have to, it would seem, put exact info in which is impossible in this case.

Sue

Comment

• Sue

I saw that death. It is a possible especially as we are not sure about whether he is a James or whatever name. Not sure it fits in with the dates the Regiment were in India but worth a follow up for marriage.
                              I did look briefly at NSW, India and Ireland last night but nothing turned up for a James.

Vera

Comment

• I have found neither a marriage nor a death for James Rowland b February 1791 Stamford St. John, Lincs - I suspected he may have died because he is conspicuous by his absence at every point after birth.
                                It did cross my mind that he also joined the military - he could have also died in the military.
                                For Samuel b 1788/9 (the one known to be a Soldier) - apart from finding the death of a possible wife in Madras, India, I have found nothing else on him sadly. I do, however, now know who his wife is, who her previous husband was and where their son b 1831 fits in + much more - also now know exactly where Donington in Holland is! So much revealed in such a short time.

I have really appreciated the dedicated help I have received over this - I had come to a full stop and didn't know where to go with my Rowlands until FTF stepped in to help, especially Vera but others also.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                                X