1939 Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
    Condition as to marriage may be considered by some as private and sensitive.

Margaret
    How on earth can condition as to marriage be considered as private?
    For a marriage to be legal it has to be advertised in public, has to be conducted in public and is open to public scrutiny, therefore it is public!

The reason the 1939 Registration was withheld from the public was not because of concerns about privacy or sensitive information but because the civil servants concerned with the NHS lied to parliament. Not just once but repeatedly.
    As a result the 1939 Registration had to be withheld to obscure the truth.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy; 31-07-14, 17:41. Reason: deleted an and
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Jay

I think that the electoral roll is again one of those things where information is/has to be in the public domain as it is nationally important for other people to know who is entitled to vote. Entitlement to vote cannot be a secret.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post

The reason the 1939 Registration was withheld from the public was not because of concerns about privacy or sensitive information but because the civil servants concerned with the NHS lied to parliament. Not just once but repeatedly.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Interesting Guy. On what information is that statement based?
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
          Whilst I personally cannot understand the reason for the 100 year rule being applied, I was reporting what was stated in the article (linked in post 1.) IF the statement is correct, then details of those born less than 100 years ago will not be released automatically.
          I find this rather strange when some much more recent head counts (electoral rolls) are online, detailing names of all adults living at an address. Some of my contemporaries find this very disconcerting.
          However, neither decision was made by me! Double standards comes to mind. What will be will be; print and be damned/print not and be damned it would seem.

Jay
          People can opt out of having their Electoral Register details published online and then all you could do to see their names would be to go to the library local to their address and search on their address not their name.

I think the rules ref the 1939 Register are to do with what was said to people at the time about what use would be made of their details and the legislation under which it was taken rather than anything else.

Margaret

Comment

How on earth can condition as to marriage be considered as private?
            For a marriage to be legal it has to be advertised in public, has to be conducted in public and is open to public scrutiny, therefore it is public!

Cheers
            Guy
            The fact of a marriage having taken place may be public but the fact that one didn't take place is private - that's what I meant.

Margaret

Comment

For those not wishing to wait two years, this is the government website where you make an application (it's now £42).
              We’re the national information and technology partner to the health and social care system using digital technology to transform the NHS and social care
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                Interesting Guy. On what information is that statement based?
                From the research I did before attempting to get the 1939 Registration available under FoI.
                The research which included searching Hansard, the Official Report report of proceedings of both the House of Commons and the House of Lords.
                During this research it was discovered that there were a number of exchanges about this including

(1951) http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...510802_HOC_169

(1952) http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...520529_HOC_163

(1953) http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/s...-marcus-lipton

(1955) (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...550404_HOC_209

(1955) http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/w...9550217_CWA_89

and many others
                Cheers
                Guy

Comment

Even more interesting! Thanks Guy.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

People can opt out of having their Electoral Register details published online and then all you could do to see their names would be to go to the library local to their address and search on their address not their name.

I think the rules ref the 1939 Register are to do with what was said to people at the time about what use would be made of their details and the legislation under which it was taken rather than anything else.

Margaret
                    What rules were they Margaret?
                    The 1939 National Registration was taken under the National Registration Act, 1939, not under the Census Act 1920 and the powers did not "expire" until 1952.
                    There was no reference to privacy that is a modern concept there was a worry about the security of the information but that was because such information would be extremely useful to the enemy if the country was overrun rather than privacy.
                    Do not forget the National Registration was to be used after the war to reconcile children who had been evacuated with their parents or families.

The reason it was based on the 1931 census districts was due to time restraints due to the war.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    PS More may be found about the 1939 National Registration at
                    http://tinyurl.com/o4zklwj
                    Last edited by Guy; 02-08-14, 15:26. Reason: added PS

Comment

Thank you Guy for your very informative replies regarding the research and the 1939 Register.

Janet

Comment

What rules were they Margaret?
                        The 1939 National Registration was taken under the National Registration Act, 1939, not under the Census Act 1920 and the powers did not "expire" until 1952.
                        There was no reference to privacy that is a modern concept there was a worry about the security of the information but that was because such information would be extremely useful to the enemy if the country was overrun rather than privacy.
                        Do not forget the National Registration was to be used after the war to reconcile children who had been evacuated with their parents or families.

The reason it was based on the 1931 census districts was due to time restraints due to the war.
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        PS More may be found about the 1939 National Registration at
                        http://tinyurl.com/o4zklwj
                        Thanks for that Guy - I was assuming the rules would have been similar to the census ones.

I understand what you say about privacy but I think that people in those days would have expected their details to be private because no one would have been able to access the register as it was in government hands and therefore unavailable to members of the public. I wonder if the forms themselves had 'Confidential' as a heading?

Margaret

Comment

I do think however, that if people lied about being married on census, (as we know they did) they would also lie on these registers. I doubt if everyone had to take their MCs with them in order to register.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that Guy - I was assuming the rules would have been similar to the census ones.

I understand what you say about privacy but I think that people in those days would have expected their details to be private because no one would have been able to access the register as it was in government hands and therefore unavailable to members of the public. I wonder if the forms themselves had 'Confidential' as a heading?

Margaret

Let's put it into context.
                            People were able to access many of the earlier census by the time the 1939 National Registration was taken; they therefore knew it would be accessible.
                            In 1916 it became obvious that employers had access to the 1915 National Registration "In February 1916, a firm of electrical engineers questioned why, when all their men had given the same job description on their forms, all the contractors had been 'starred,' but not the senior manager, who was crucial in organizing the work of the firm. " (The 1915 National Registration was more detailed than the 1939 National Registration.)

It was well known that the Registration would be used to repatriate evacuees with their parents after the war meaning that the public would have access to the registration or listings compiled from the registration.

Were the forms marked 'Confidential', no, there was no mention of them being confidential.

The enumerators were made to keep the data secret as it would be of high value to the enemy after an invasion and could be used to assassinate those of influence or in positions of authority, but there were no concerns about the general public.

Cheers
                            Guy

PS there are examples of the forms on the site I gave the url of in my earlier post.
                            Last edited by Guy; 06-08-14, 10:39. Reason: added a ps

Comment

Thanks Guy for your comments it's all a lot clearer now and I understand your view ref the position taken now on the availability or otherwise of information to the public now from this register.
                              Margaret

Comment

I've been following this thread and I've learnt something today....Thank you Guy, for sharing your knowledge with us.
                                Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                X