FTM Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM Questions

I have several FTM questions that I am not able to find in the books...

1. FTM 2005..... I see reference to it as being 2005 V16, and then just as FTM 2005.
    Was 2005 produced in 2 versions?
    I also see reference to 2005 early or old version 2005.

2. FTM 2008 is also sometimes referred to as "Old Version". I understand that in 2008 there was a
    complete revamping of the program and a lot of folks didn't like some of the changes.
    Was there 2 versions there also?

3. I am now trying FTM 2012. I have tried to edit members names after I find the middle name and try to change the Middle initial to the proper name. The only way I have been able to do this, is to delete the individual and then re-enter the correct version. There's got to be an easier way.

4. Is there a USA version of this Forum. I just realized that everything I read is referenced to the UK.
    I don't have a big problem with that, but some info I read will not pertain to U.S. activities.

Thanks, Benny

My ancestors from Barlborough Hall, Derbyshire, UK

Hi Benny

MOst of your questions I cannot answer but I believe I can answer number 3. When you are looking at the property box for the individual (on the right of the screen) click the name and you should see a pencil icon appear at the right-hand end of the name entry. Click that and an edit box for the name pops up allowing the parts of the name to be changed.

David
    Last edited by DavidNewton; 06-07-14, 08:04.

Comment

I think the order of sequence was FTM 2015, FTM 2016 and then version 16. From what I remember there was very little between these versions.
      It then jumped to version 2008 which was a complete makeover and appeared to contain a number of bugs which caused major problems for users.
      These problems were gradually ironed out over the next few versions, namely FTM 2009. 2010 and 2011.
      When FTM 2012 was introduced the program seemed more stable and I think it was at this stage that the ability to sync between FTM and Ancestry was introduced. There was an improvement in the charts available and the program seemed to handle large sized files more easily.

Editing names in FTM 2012 - all you need to do is to take your cursor to the name in the right hand section of the screen and edit there. As soon as you move your cursor away from that field the name will be saved. I have done a screenshot so it's clear (I hope!). David has suggested you click on the pencil icon to edit - I hadn't noticed it there until he mentioned it! I just click on the name field and edit directly there.

Is there a USA version of this Forum. I just realized that everything I read is referenced to the UK.
      I don't have a big problem with that, but some info I read will not pertain to U.S. activities.
      Family Tree Forum is open to all - worldwide - and our membership reflects this.
      Not everything you find here is UK based - might be worth your while taking a look at our reference library (accessed via the link on the navigation bar) where you will find a lot of non UK related information!
      Elaine

Comment

What a surprise this morning when I opened up the Forum. Thanks David and Elaine for the info.
        I was rather confused in the order of progression of the different versions. I know there are a lot of folks that are digging up the Version 16 to use, and I was wondering just when it came out and what was so good about it. I went straight from Version 11 to FTM 2012. Quite a different format. And that is where I was getting into trouble editing names. Thanks David for the info, I tried it and it was there all the time. I never thought about editing the right pane. The early versions were easier to edit, but I guess it's what you get used to. In my library I have Versions 4 to version7 then I figured I didn't have to upgrade every year. I skipped to version 11, and then last year went to version 2012. It never ends, there is always room for improvement....I think. Looks like there is a melting pot of users here since you mentioned it Elaine. Thanks again for the help.

Benny

Comment

Working...
        X