Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy's Star - Genealogy's Star Hacked

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.

Anybody reading this thread.... DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINK

As the title says the website has been hacked and is full of pop-up links that *may* lead to sites that harm your computer.

I did follow the link, but my anti-virus and anti-adware software picked it up and prevented any damage.

MODS: Perhaps you could disable the link?

EDIT: I have just noticed that the same goes for ANY Genealogy's Star link. Until they get it sorted, stay away!
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 23-03-13, 12:36.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks for pointing it out, but only Tim can do that task globally .... or else we need to delete every thread which MODS can do if they are around, so in the meantime, best avoid the links - although luckily for now, not many people read this part of the forum.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have just visited several if his recent blogs (posted since the supposed hacking) with no ill effects, so presumably the problem has been dealt with speedily. Since he is at RootTech it shouldn't have been difficult for him to get someone to sort it!!
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've just checked and there are still popups that my pop-up blocker is catching. I haven't allowed them to load as I don't know if they are safe, but it still seems suspicious to me.

However it may be a legimate pop-up that the site owner has put there on purpose, but past experience has shown that pop-ups on any site should be treated with care.
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

He has posted again about the hacking .... Genealogy's Star - Warning about an annoying hack ..... as you say, best not to click on popups anyway. I'm still not getting them, so it is either random or I have them blocked.
            Caroline

Comment

Just read their update and it seems that the problem is fixed. I have accessed several pages on the site and all are clear.
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
              X