Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

H I have posted before on my great great grandmother but recently came across some new information on whee she may have been living when she died and rather than drag up an old post thought a new one might be best.

Clara Pettit was born in Mile End Old Town in London on 6th September 1869
    Parents - John(Jonathan) Pettit & Sarah Poole
    Married Charles Ward in West Ham on 18th December 1892 - middle name listed here as Lilian
    Widowed in 1905
    On 1911 census with what appears to be a 2nd husband James Ward - shares same surname and listed as married for 3 years

New information
    Last known address when she died was 57 Thornton Rd, Ilford, Essex - she was living with her daughter Elizabeth Ethel Ward (1st married name Smith)and her partner Arthur McKanna and the person who supplied the information is postive that she died in Ilford. The year is unknown

I have always been looking for her death in the London area but had a look on freebmd for deaths in Essex but nothing yet. The only stumbling block is whether the married name on the 1911 census was incorrect ie it wasn't Ward but whoever signed the census (James or Clara) signed it as Ward so I can only assume her name when she died was Clara Ward

Can anyone help and see if they can find a death in the Ilford area

Huge thanks

Steven

Here's a list of all the Clara's born 1869 who died in Ilford
    Clara L Buttle abt 1869 Oct-Nov-Dec 1941 Ilford Essex <<<<<<<<<<< this one looks possible
    Clara E Garland abt 1869 Jan-Feb-Mar 1961 Ilford Essex
    Clara A Harris abt 1869 Jul-Aug-Sep 1959 Ilford Essex
    Clara Kimber abt 1869 Jul-Aug-Sep 1944 Ilford Essex
    Clara H Mcdonald abt 1869 Jan-Feb-Mar 1953 Ilford Essex
    Clara A Parcell abt 1869 Apr-May-Jun 1942 Ilford Essex
    Clara C Townsend abt 1869 Jan-Feb-Mar 1962 Ilford Essex

Might be worth seeing which of them you can find on the 1911 to eliminate them.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret is there a marriage by any chance of a Clara Ward to someone Buttle (might be a James if 1911 census is right - say between 1905 and 1911?

Steven

That looks a good bet Margaret - all the rest have middle names that don't match

Comment

not sure if you know about this site Steve, http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

not sure what years it covers as I have not used it before, but it might help eliminate some names.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I cant even find her in 1911 where is she ?

Comment

unless I'm mistaken that Clara in 1911 says born Stratford Essex

Comment

there is a death for a Clara Ward in Jun 1915 West Ham Essex aged 47

Comment

Thanks Julie I will check it out.

Val for some reason although she was born in Mile End on many of the censuses her birth is down as Stratford, West Ham. The one you listed is a possibility too Val - do you have the page and volume number? I did try a few before so want to check that is not one of them

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Val just a thought but the person that Julie got me in touch with says that Clara lived with her father who is still alive and his mother (Clara's daughter) until she died. His memory is fading but surely 1915 is too early? I don't know his age but lets say he was 80 that would place his birth around 1930 well after the death in 1915. Say even he was 90 even then his birth would have been 1921 again after her death so I think I might need to discount that one

Thanks for looking though, much appreciated

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                    Thanks Margaret is there a marriage by any chance of a Clara Ward to someone Buttle (might be a James if 1911 census is right - say between 1905 and 1911?

Steven

That looks a good bet Margaret - all the rest have middle names that don't match
                    Can't see anything - sorry!

Comment

There is a Clara Louisa Buttle b about 1869 living in West Ham in the 1911. That could be the Clara L who died in 1941
                      Jackie

Comment

Margaret thanks for looking for me

Jackie thanks for that I think that rules out Clara Buttle as the middle name is wrong and no marriage found. I have went back to the person Julie got me in touch with to see if her father can even remember a decade or approximate year that Clara may have died to try to narrow down things. However her father is elderly and doesn't keep in good health and due to the length of time it makes it harder but will keep you posted

Flipping heck Clara is an enigma lol

Steven
                        Last edited by stevie2006; 26-10-11, 07:05.

Comment

might just have to get the deaths you think are possible. if the relative of yours does have a fading memory, he may be confused as to which grandmother lived with him. memory is quite tricky, and not infallible. i would certainly get the 1915 one, even if it is just to rule her out.
                          Last edited by kylejustin; 26-10-11, 11:56.

Comment

I take it you have Charles Ward Death Cert ?

Comment

is the Death you think is Charles, Charles Alfred Ward died in West Ham 1905 ???

Comment

for what its worth I reckon that Clara moved in with James and he is calling himself Ward?

Comment

Hi Val yes thats Charles who died in a brewery accident in 1905.

I thought that too Val - the 1911 census mist be right as three children are staying with Clara and James and all match up - surely there can't be two Clara Ward's both with the same number and named children? Why would James take Clara's name? Or is it perhaps he was a Ward too? I know Charles didn't have any brothers called James.

Thanks kylejustin might be the only option to order the 1915 cert to rule it out

Steven

Comment

that death that I found in 1905 for Charles Alfred Ward was for a baby ?? as it says aged 0 ????? unless I'm mistaken ?so you do have the death cert then ?
                                    The only child showing in 1901 I have is Charley as the others were born after the 1901 census ? so I assume you have their Birth certs too ?
                                    I have a relative who moves in with a wife and uses her husbands name forename and surname in 1911 so its not unusual.

Comment

Yes val I have the certificate - Charles died on 3rd May 1905. His middle name was William after his father. His father had a middle name of Alfred so I wonder if the child you found was maybe his and Clara's son. Do you know the month, page and volume number for that one as I might be worth ordering.

I don't have all the children's birth certs but all the names were confirmed on the children's society records for two of Clara's daughters Ethel and Isabella.

Thanks

Steven

Comment

steven you can find the refs for certs at freebmd.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X