Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: D-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: D-Day

Robin Clarke was one of the participants in D-Day, the fourth episode of Find My Past the TV show. Robin’s grandfather, Oliver Boland, was the pilot of Glider 92 during D-Day. Here we ask Robin about her experiences of appearing on the show.

FMP: What was the most surprising or emotional moment for you?
    Robin: The moment I heard my grandpa’s voice, because even though he was in my life, I have no recollection of him.
    FMP: How has being involved in the programme affected you or your life?
    Robin: It’s made me really appreciate my family. It has also made me want to document all our family photos, past and present, so I can share with my son to pass on through the family.
    FMP: Are you proud of your ancestor’s role in this historical event?
    Robin: I am very proud of my grandpa. It’s such a shame I didn’t get the chance to know him.
    FMP: Do you feel you’ve got to know your ancestor better?
    Robin: Yes I do, because now I talk about him to friends and family, sharing all the things I’ve learnt about him.
    FMP: If you could meet your ancestor, face to face, what question would you ask them?
    Robin: If I met him I would simply ask how it feels to have lived through a war.
    FMP: How did you find out you were going to be in a TV programme about your family history? What was your reaction?
    Robin: Findmypast.co.uk got in contact with my granny. It was my mum who told me about the plans. I decided that I would do it as I wanted to learn about grandpa and I knew it would make my granny happy. I also wanted to teach my son about our family history and the role that grandpa played in D-Day.
    FMP: Has it sunk in that your ancestor was involved in such a momentous point in history?
    Robin: I don’t feel that it has sunk in about what he has done. I’m so pleased I got to know him.
    Read more about the D-Day episode
    Find out more about Find My Past the TV show

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X