Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: Dunkirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: Dunkirk

David Greene was one of our three participants in the Dunkirk episode of Find My Past the TV show. We’ve been chatting to David to hear about his experiences of appearing on the show.
    Q: What was the most surprising or emotional moment for you?

A: Hearing my grandad’s voice on the recording of his time on the beach at Dunkirk.
    Q: How has being involved in the programme affected you or your life?
    A: It has put into perspective what the soldiers went through in the war and how we should always remember those that fought for their country.
    Q: Are you proud of your ancestor’s role in this historical event?
    A: Without question. I wish I could have spoken to him about his time in the war.
    Q: Do you feel you’ve got to know your ancestor better?
    A: I was very close to my nan and granddad anyway as we saw them every week. I knew my grandad very well, but he and my nan never mentioned the war.
    Q: If you could meet your ancestor face to face, what question would you ask them?
    A: I would most certainly ask him about Dunkirk, and I would ask him many more questions about his war experience.
    Q: How did you find out you were going to be in a TV programme about your family history? What was your reaction?
    A: I received a letter in the post asking if I was related to grandad Alfie Guilder. I was excited to find out what he was involved in that was a part of British history.
    Q: Has it sunk in that your ancestor was involved in such a momentous point in history?
    A: Yes it has, but I must say I have given what he must have gone through a lot of thought. I have watched a few other programmes now on this battle to learn more and understand more what it would have been like.
    Find out more about Find My Past the TV show
    Honour our heroes
    Were any of your ancestors involved in Dunkirk? Upload their photo, tell their story and help findmypast.co.uk to honour our heroes. Share your heroes

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X