Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - medal citation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - medal citation

Our resident military expert Paul Nixon, pictured below, answers your queries.
    From Charles Arthur Wanostrocht in Kent:
    ‘My grandfather, 25430 Cpl. Charles Arthur Wanostrocht, serving with the 26th.Field Coy. Royal Engineers, was killed in the Boer War on the railway near Naaboomspruit on 4 July 1901. He was gazetted for the Distinguished Conduct Medal in the London Gazette of 26 June 1902.
    Despite extensive enquiries, including the R.E.Museum at Chatham and the Imperial War Museum, I have been unable to trace the original citation for this medal (although other sources confirm the award). I would be most grateful for any information - medal lists for the Boer War, relevant website etc. - which would enable me to find this citation.’
    Paul says:
    ‘J B Hayward and Sons published Recipients of The Distinguished Conduct Medal 1855-1909 in 1987 and a note in that book for Arthur Wanostrocht notes “details PRO WO108/158″. This will be a file of correspondence relating to honours and awards and could have a letter from his Commanding Officer detailing the nature of the award.
    My thanks to Meurig Jones for supplying this information. Meurig’s Anglo Boer War database containing over 258,000 names is published on findmypast.co.uk.
    As far as accessing the original record at The National Archives is concerned, you will need to hire a researcher to do this for you.’

If you’d like to send your question to our experts, please register or opt to receive newsletters in My Account. Unfortunately our experts only have time to answer a few queries each month. If yours wasn’t answered this time, you could be lucky next month!

More...
Working...
X