Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad handwriting

Dear kind souls,

I've come across the following old letter amongst The Archives. I'm seriously struggling with it though as it's been written by someone of a certain age.

"Dear Mr Bray,
    Thank you very much for your kind
    letter + for the enclosures which I shall cherish
    Father looks ? and ? overjoyed at
    ? ? experience,"

The letter continues with things unreleted to 'the enclosures' which I believe were an old photograph of the sender's father.

I'm eager to get the sender's thoughts on the image. If anyone thinks that they can work out the missing words then do please have a go!

Attached Files

Father loved them and was overjoyed

Not sure about the last word but don't think it is experience.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

"and WAS overjoyed.......EXPRESSION?

the first couple of letters with the "i" (ind?)do you think they may be should be joined to the next bit? Whats that in the margin does it say "the"?

What were the enclosures in case that gives a clue?
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-01-11, 22:59.

Comment

Father looks solemn and I am overjoyed at his inexpression

Old photographs were considered serious and people thought you had to look serious when they were taken so his daughter who may always have known him to be jovial, on recieving solemn photographs of her father amused her.

Edna

Comment

Working...
        X