Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easy is it to find a birth from 1848?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy is it to find a birth from 1848?

Hi I have today sent away a marriage certificate for my great great great grandfather William Ward. I think he married an Elizabeth Wood in West Ham in 1867. The marriage certificate will give me their father's names.

I think William may have been born around 1848 (maybe even as early as 1845) and I know from censuses that he was born in Stratford in West Ham - all the Wards seem to have come from there.

Is that too far back to get a certificate? If so is there anything anyone could suggest to try to find his birth which would give me both his parents names or is that about the end of that particular line?

Many thanks as always

Steven

Registration started from July 1837, so you can certainly get a certificate.

FreeBMD have two in West Ham at that time (there are others in the county):

William Robert Ward in Q3 1848 Volume 12 Page 273

and

William Alfred Ward in Q4 1847 Volume 12 Page 264
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for that Caroline and for the quick response - I think I might wait for the marriage certificate and see if that has a middle name - are there any more around 1845 just to make sure?

I checked the birth certificate for his son Charles again but no middle name - just William Ward

Steven

Comment

Stevie, you can find births from 1837 here:

Comment

Thanks Mary

I just came across a census from 1861 in amongst my paperwork and it shows William Ward age 12 as a scholar in West Ham with parents listed as Charles Ward and I think Caroline Ward - I don't have the earlier census but that looks like the parents names.

I had a look on freebmd but couldn't see a marriage for a Charles Ward to a Caroline. I might have to wait on the marriage of William Ward to Elizabeth Wood then the birth of William which will then give me the names of both parents including Caroline's maiden name.

Steven

Comment

Yes, I saw that 1861 census. There's a family that looks a bit like them in 1851 (father's a printer on both censuses), but the ages are way out; the William in 1851 is 10 years old, whereas he's 12 in 1861.

As you say, you'll need William and Elizabeth's marriage cert to get his father's name. I'm afraid it won't give his mother's name (English certs aren't nearly as good as Scottish ones).

Comment

Stevie, you say that you thinkhe married Elizabeth Wood. If you got one of the kids birth certs you would be certain the name of his bride - what does it say on the sons cert?. He has a VERY common name, so you need definites to work on.
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 13-01-11, 23:03.

Comment

Very odd isnt it. I was hoping that William was in fact 10 months rather than 10 years and certainly there is something strange there as the kids are normally in age order. But the other children - Im wondering if there is a fundamental mix up in the ages there. Have you traced the other kids for their ages as they got older?

Charles Ward 45
                Caroline Ward 42
                William Ward 12
                Mary Ann Ward 5
                George Ward 2

Charles Ward 38
                Caroline Ward 38
                Esther Ward 9
                James Ward 3
                William Ward 10
                Alfred Ward 1

Looking at the 1871, I reckon the guy who did the 1851 was well out. This one shows mum and dad with same age diff as the 1851 (the 1861 is incorrect even for them)
                Charles Ward 57
                Caroline Ward 53
                Mary A Ward 15
                George Ward 13

In 1871 William and Elizabeth appear to have moved to Durham, is that correct?

William Ward 23
                Elizabeth Ward 22
                Chas Ward 2
                Fred Ward 1

and in 1881 back to West Ham via Manchester!

William Ward 38
                Elizabeth Ward 32
                Charles Ward 14
                Frederick Ward 13
                John Ward 10
                William Ward 6
                Agnes Ward 2 (born Manchester)
                Emily Ward
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 13-01-11, 23:22.

Comment

Hi Heather the parents are William Ward and Elizabeth Wood according to Charles' birth certificate - what I meant was I think I have the correct marriage - apologies

Thanks for your help of the censuses will have a good look over when I get in from work tonight. I do not know he names of any other children

Appreciate your help

Steven

Comment

Steve, is it not worth you taking a 2 weeks free ancestry sub for census info?

Comment

Hi Heather I did have a 6 month sub but it ran out last week!! I have some censuses that I did ages ago so will have a look at them to see what I have.

Can't recall them moving to Durham but will have a look

Its a waiting game to see if the 2 certificates I have ordered will help

Steven

Comment

If you're lucky, the census you need may have been transcribed on http://freecen.rootsweb.com/

I've been able to find better transcriptions than on Ancestry for some of my Scottish families.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John will check them out

Regards

Steven

Comment

Hi I received the marriage certificate today and it confirms thats William Ward married Elizabeth Wood on 16th September 1867. William was aged 20 so that would place his birth around 1847 and I know from all the censuses that he was born in Stratford, West Ham. His father was called Charles Ward and I know from the censuses that his mother was called Caroline and she has also signed the marriage certificate.

I think I know need to try and find Williams birth so that I can find the maiden name of his mother and then perhaps their marriage - can anyone help?

Incidently Elizabeth Wood's father was named as Samuel Wood (brick maker) and she was 19 when they married - I don't have any Wood's on any censuses but probably too common a name

Any help on William's birth or his parents marriage would be fantastic

Steven

Comment

This is presumably the family in 1861
                              Charles Ward c 1816 Bromley, Middlesex,
                              Caroline Ward c 1819 Stratford, Essex
                              William Ward c1849 Stratford, Essex
                              Mary Ann Ward c1856 Stratford, Essex
                              George Ward c 1859 Stratford, Essex
                              RG9; Piece: 1054; Folio: 85; Page: 38

A birth in Stratford would come under the West Ham registration district so this is a possible.

Births Sep 1848
                              WARD William Robert
                              W Ham volume 12 page 273

Have you found any reference to a second name of Robert?
                              Elaine

Comment

Nothing with a second name Elaine but thanks for your help. Worth an order I think so that I can get his mothers maiden name and then his parents marriage and then fathers names and another generation

Regards

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post

Births Sep 1848
                                  WARD William Robert
                                  W Ham volume 12 page 273
                                  Not sure about that one now!
                                  Have just found a William Robert Ward in the 1851 census,with parents James and Mary Ann.

I'll have another look.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                    Nothing with a second name Elaine but thanks for your help. Worth an order I think so that I can get his mothers maiden name and then his parents marriage and then fathers names and another generation

Regards

Steven
                                    Oh dear - hope you come back to the thread! That could be a wrong one!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. Marriage says William Ward. Will wait to see if you can work your usual magic

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                        This is presumably the family in 1861
                                        Charles Ward c 1816 Bromley, Middlesex,
                                        Caroline Ward c 1819 Stratford, Essex
                                        William Ward c1849 Stratford, Essex
                                        Mary Ann Ward c1856 Stratford, Essex
                                        George Ward c 1859 Stratford, Essex
                                        RG9; Piece: 1054; Folio: 85; Page: 38
                                        Struggling to find this family in the 1851 census - which may give us some more clues.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X