Birth in 1919 Mothers Maiden name ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth in 1919 Mothers Maiden name ??

I dont want to put the name on here but on the Birth Reg it has Mother **** or ********
    why would it say that ? thanks

she was married before and has 2 names, maiden and previous married name.
    Margaret

Comment

is that right Margaret mmm thanks for that very interesting shall investigate further

Comment

Margaret

I hesitate to argue with you, but I have been married twice and on the birth of my youngest child (second marriage) there is no reference to my first marriage, either on the certificate or in the indexes.

OC

Comment

Val,

it can mean that the mother isnt married but the child has taken the fathers name, but the mothers name will also be registered.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks OC and Julie I did think it odd as I cannot find another marriage for her ? that would make more sense .

Comment

I have several like that and in each case the mother had been married before and was usually widowed before marrying again.

Comment

oh and as a side note.. if the parents were not married then the father would have to be present to have the child registered in his name. Though, if you are married then either parent can go an register a birth
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I will ask my daughter to check her birth cert but I am absolutely positive there is no reference to my first marriage - why would there be? What connection would there be between my first marriage and my second marriage as far as the birth of a child is concerned? My MAIDEN name is the same even if I have been married 50 times, and it is MAIDEN name which is asked for on the birth cert. Only my maiden name shows on the index. (I mean there is only one name as a maiden name, not an either/or).

OC

OC

Comment

aha just found a marriage which I do know is right and the name her Mother married in is her maiden name in 1955.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      I will ask my daughter to check her birth cert but I am absolutely positive there is no reference to my first marriage - why would there be? What connection would there be between my first marriage and my second marriage as far as the birth of a child is concerned? My MAIDEN name is the same even if I have been married 50 times, and it is MAIDEN name which is asked for on the birth cert. Only my maiden name shows on the index. (I mean there is only one name as a maiden name, not an either/or).

OC

OC
                      What you say makes sense OC but I have old birth cert where the mother had been married twice and was listed as Mary G*****, late S***** formerly J***** . G***** being her married surname, S****** the surname of her first husband and G***** her maiden name
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I think you misunderstood my explaining quite easy to do .it says ***** or *** not formerly

Comment

Sorry Val, thought it was "or" on index and might refer to a situation like my example. If it said "or" on the certificate itself then perhaps the mother had been known by two different surnames before marriage - perhaps that of her father and of a step father.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I suppose it would have been better if I had put some names might have made more sense? than the astericks ?? still dont really see the point of putting the Fathers surname if it isnt on the Cert ?

Comment

Erm!!

Sounds as thought the mother was known by both names ie was born as A but brought up as B.
                              Alternatively she was born A but was living with someone called B and took his name without marriage.
                              Or she just changed her name (as one of mine did to hide her past).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee funny thing is she isn't mentioned in the family trees on Ancestry and there are a lot of them ?? have pmd one to see if he has heard of her .

Comment

Working...
                                X