Help with handwriting please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with handwriting please.

I am trying to find a marriage. The former name given on one of their childrens birth cert seems to read to me kemsley or kimsley, but I am unable to find a match, does anyone have any suggestions what this name should read? I havent been doing this long and its driving me crazy already!!..

Well, I thought it looked like KIMSLEY.

What info do you have so far (bride & groom and place and date-range, for example)? If the names could still be living, then please send by PM, to avoid posting on the open boards.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The groom is Henry king, Bride sarah ann date im guessing between 1860-1880. probably medway towns kent as thats where they were born and living. Thought i had it sorted from parish records thinking when i got cert her name was going to be russell so have somthing wrong somewhere...

Comment

Name Age
        Henry King 48
        Sarah Ann King 44
        Annie King 18
        Henry King 16
        Edward King 14
        Elizabeth King 12
        Charles King 9
        Arthur King 7
        Alice King 4

This family are living in Rochester in 1891 is this the family that you are looking for from the marriage

Edna

Comment

Kemsley is a palcename in Sittingbourne Kent

Edna

Comment

Actually - you'd expect the name end to be of the form LEY - in which case that first vowel is also an e. ... KEMSLEY.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

yes this is the family. Yes I thought of that actually the placename, because my husband was born there!

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                Actually - you'd expect the name end to be of the form LEY - in which case that first vowel is also an e. ... KEMSLEY.

Christine
                many thanks

Comment

If the family Edna has found is the right one, then tracing Sarah Ann back using the Kemsley surname could lead to this one;

Edwd Kemsley 37
                  Sarah Kemsley 33
                  Sarah Ann Kemsley 15
                  William Edwd Kemsley 8
                  George Henr Kemsley 5
                  Emma Kemsley 4 MO
                  RG9; Piece: 477; Folio: 11; Page: 16

Looking for a marriage for the parents Edward Kemsley and Sarah, this shows up as a possibility

Marriages Dec 1851
                  Akhurst Caroline
                  Callaway Elizabeth
                  Hales Robert
                  Johnson Thomas
                  Kemsley Edward
                  Lampard Ellen
                  Russell Sarah
                  Wadhams Henry William
                  Medway volume 5 page 571

... which could mean that Sarah Ann born c1845 may be illegitimate. Perhaps she took on her stepfather's name of Kemsley but when she married she used her birth name of Russell.

Worth following up!
                  Elaine

Comment

There was a Russell when I was trawling but in the London Marriages I dont have access to them

Edna

Comment

Sarah Ann Russell
                      Year of Registration: 1868
                      Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                      District: Medway (1837-1941)
                      County: Kent
                      Volume: 2a
                      Page: 636

Bingo thats the one Henry King the spouse

Edna

Comment

Thats great! thanks Elaine it certainly looks a possibility because Russell was the name I was expecting to see. I dont know why I ever thought starting this was going to be straightforward!

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

I found sarah russell on parish records on cityark no fathers name, mothers name sarah. which all fits with what you have given me elaine. I had the pieces, just couldnt put them together!! many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                              Sarah Ann Russell
                              Year of Registration: 1868
                              Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                              District: Medway (1837-1941)
                              County: Kent
                              Volume: 2a
                              Page: 636

Bingo thats the one Henry King the spouse

Edna
                              Thank Edna for your help. Have a bit more to chew over now!!..

Comment

Working...
                              X