London, England, Land Tax Valuations, 1910 - new on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London, England, Land Tax Valuations, 1910 - new on Ancestry

I'm surprised this hasn't surfaced elsewhere - there was an article in the Grauniad, today, which alerted me to this new database...

This is a collection land tax valuation rolls in the City of London taken in 1910. The Finance Act 1910 included the taxation in the increase in the value of land and in order to tax the increase the land had to be valued to begin with. These rolls are the baseline valuations of land in the different districts of London. The work was done by the District Valuation Offices of the Commissioners of Inland Revenue. It involved the compilation of field books and maps that listed all property. The Domesday Books that comprise this collection is the summary of this information.

The records contain:

* District/ward
    * Residence
    * Tax date
    * Proprietor name
    * Tenant name
    * Street
    * Description of property
    * Yearly rent or value
    This probably needs to be in the News section, but I thought it wouldn't hurt for it to start off here!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Thank you - we had a section about this in the Reference Library and I have added the link.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
    X