New find on wedding certificate from 1824

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New find on wedding certificate from 1824

Thanks to the new records on ancestry I managed to view the actual certificate of the marriage of Samuel Poston and Sarah Gooding. Parish is crossed out and in its place under the groom it says of the Liberty of Norton-Folgate and under the brides name it says laid Liberty of Norton-Folgate

I googled and found this:

Getting excited about the prospect of rich rellies I was until I found the original parish record of the baptism of their first child and his profession is listed as a painter! Has anyone got any idea what this means??

Quick update....Samuel poston, wife and children are nowhere to be found on the 1841 census, Children are Eleanor, Sarah, Jane, Harriet, and Mary Ann. Postons in middlesex are rarer than hens teeth!! I then find a Samuel Poston on the criminal registers he is accused of larceny by a servant but aquitted, does this mean he was a servant on the Norton folgate estate. Is this why I cannot find the family on the 1841?
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-01-11, 21:00. Reason: additional text
    KAREN xx

I have a death for Harriet in 1833. Which explains why I cannot find her on the 1841. Found Janes baptism record and it lists Samuels occupation as that of servant!!!!! So it is him on the Criminal register ! Where are they all on the 1841 though?
    KAREN xx

Comment

Do you have the years and places of birth for Samuel and his children?
      Have you found them in the 1851 census?
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

No year of Birth for Samuel as cannot find him on the 1841.

Think I now know why as last night found original register of marriage of daughter Sarah Poston b 1828 she marries a Henry Poulter in 1848 Samuel is listed as being deceased. He could maybe have died before the the 1841??

Eleanor Poston b 1829, Jane (sarahs twin) also b 1828, Harriett b1832 dies in 1833 and Mary Ann b1836.

I can only find Mary Ann on the 1851 census working as a servant. No sign of Sarah Poston Samuels wife. All the children were Baptised in St martins in the Field in Middlesex and on the 1851 census Mary Ann does indeed state that as her place of birth.

Sarah is married by 1851 and is also my Eleanor
        Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-01-11, 10:36. Reason: extra text
        KAREN xx

Comment

When you say Sarah is married by 1851 do you mean the mother or the daughter?

The reason I ask is that this may be the mother remarrying on 7th January 1844 at St Annes Soho

Sarah Poston and John Joseph King, both full age and widowed. Sarah's father is given as John Goodwin, mason. I know that her maiden name was given as Gooding on the first marriage but I wondered whether one or other of the names was misheard.

I still haven't managed to find them on the census though but if its right it might help to narrow it down - the trouble is that King is quite a common surname
          Jackie

Comment

Hiya Jackie,

Sorry, Yes the daughter is married by 1851. Will have a look at that marriage as it could definately be the mother re-marrying Poston very unusual name in the middlesex area. Well done you, much appreciated!! Family is a bit of a mystery
            KAREN xx

Comment

"was he a servant on the Norton folgate estate"

Norton Folgate was not an estate as such, just an administrative region, that was before Tudor times part of St Mary Spitals lands. By 1700 it was houses and tennements the same as the rest of East London. In the 1700's alot of the richer silk weavers had their homes and businesses there, but certainly alot of the inhabitants were not that rich, some quite poor. There was alot of extreme poverty there by 1824, just as there was in neighbouring Bethnal Green, Spitalfields, Shoreditch etc, though probably a little less severe in Norton Folgate, and threre were still a few big individual merchants houses that may have employed servants in 1820's etc.

Comment

Working...
              X