TNA: A number of questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNA: A number of questions.

Okay this may seem like a really daft question, but I really need to ask it. Please can anyone tell me

How does the National Archive at Kew work?
    I have read a lot of your threads on your days out there, but I am still unsure on how it actually works. I would like to pay a visit but am unsure of whether it would benefit me or not. I have a real problem navigating and searching their website, which does not help my situation.

Okay so how does it actually work?

Do you need to know the documents you want to see before you go there? There is a problem as my visit would be a needle in a haystack search.

How long can you stay there? i.e. can you make a day of it or do they time limit you.

How do you know what they may have there? It always looks so easy on WDYTYA. The people working at the local archive to me are so helpful and patient are there similar people at the TNA?

Do they hold copies of all the parish records for the UK? Because I think this must be my next port of call, undertaking blanket searches for a certain area, so I wonder if it would be more beneficial to visit that part of the country or the TNA.

If you are unsure what you are looking for is it worth a visit? Well I know what I am looking for, it's just I don't know if I can access it or whether it is there to be found.

Other than travel and accomodation what other costs are involved? i.e. do they charge for every document you want to look at? Is there an entry fee etc.

I know these may seen like silly questions but like many of you it is a bit of an expedition to Kew and it feels quite daunting but something I feel I should do to further my research.

Thank you
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

You may find that some of your questions are answered in our Guide to the National Archives page in our Reference Library and there is a useful Visit Us section on the NA website, but I am sure members will have some more personal advice to give.

I went for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had only prepared myself to look at 3 or 4 particular documents as I really didn't know what to expect, but also spent quite a lot of time on the computer terminals downloading documents from the Documents Online section of the website (at no charge!) as well as looking at books from the vast library that they have.

I'm planning a trip to UK in March and a day at Kew will certainly be amongst the things I will be doing.

As to costs - there is no entrance fee or fee charged for any documents you want to look at.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

I have been using the reference part of the site more regularly recently but didn't think re this question....

I have read the visit us but it doesn't reassure me as a total dumbo... see above ^^.

Off to read up now, but any reassurance re questions gladly received.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I was a total dumbo last year when I visited and I have to say it's all a bit daunting when you walk in for the first time. However, I arranged to meet up with Velma (Rachel) who helped me sort out my Reader's Ticket, showed me how to order documents and generally showed me the set up of the building. It was a great help and was nice to know that she was on hand if I had a problem. There were also a few other FTF members there on the day so we met up for lunch in the restaurant and had a good natter.
        Perhaps whenever you plan to go, pop a thread in the General or Events forum to see if any other members would like to meet up, and hopefully one of them would give you a short guided tour.
        Elaine

Comment

If the only thing you're interested in is parish records, it might be simpler to order them to view at your nearest LDS centre:

Comment

Kew doesn't have a great deal of parish records so it's not the best place to go for that reason only.

If there are other things you might want to look at you could list them here and we'll tell you whether you are likely to find anything at Kew. It's useful to have an idea of what you're looking for before you go and the Research Guides on their website are very helpful, in explaining what sort of records they hold on each subject. Staff are helpful too although they won't look things up for you but will point you in the right direction.

You can also look at all census for free, all FindMyPast records, and all records on Documentsonline. They have a good library too.
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

If you are planning more than a day in London, for Parish Records I would recommend a visit to the London Family History Centre (near the museums in South Ken), the main LDS site in the UK. They have something like 60k+ films in stock and they are VERY helpful. You can check what they have by going to: http://www.londonfhc.org/

They have really good opening hours too (so you can have a long day starting out in Kew and then going to the LFHC!)

Re. Kew: there is really no more information there than you can find on the TNA website from the comfort of your own home, and certainly no more archived documents. The PCs there simply have a mirror copy of the main website. So, from a bang for your buck perspective I would heartily recommend you doing your research first and then going there to look at the actual records themselves. And you can print out any of the online documents there for only 20p an A3 page!

Like you, I find the TNA search 'facility' a bit awkward, but you won't find it any easier there. There are staff there to help too. But (like another poster) I'd suggest you post what you are looking for and let some of us try to help you find it and then (hopefully) armed with references you can look at them when you are there

Comment

Errrr Bertie........there is a VAST amount of material at Kew which you can't access via their website.

Also, their paper catalogues are easier to search than the online catalogue.
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that annswabey: I thought that everything that could be seen at Kew was referenced, and that all refererences were searchable through the website: it is very interesting if that is not the case.

Is there some guidance on that that you can give? For example, what kind of documentation might be consulted at the archives (via the paper catalogues) that is not referenced on the website.

Comment

Bertie

Most documents haven't been indexed, so for example, a reference to a particular Muster Roll for a particular regiment for a particular year will have a reference on the online catalogue, but it would have be physically searched to find what it may contain.

Everything should have a reference in the online catalogue but in most cases it's not possible to know what is contained in the record without actually looking at it. Regarding the paper catalogues which are held at Kew, I just meant that they are easier to search, because of course, with an online search, the search term has to be exact to find the record. The best way to find out what sort of documents they hold on a particular subject is to look at the Research Guides on their site. They will give a reference, for, say Muster Rolls, and then you can specify that reference in your search.

Comment

Hi annswabey - I think we are actually on the ame page here! I wasn't claiming that every document was indexed or was available online - only that the means of searching for a document was the same whether using TNA website from home or using the PCs at TNA. Thus, for bubblebelle I suggested doing the initial research at home and via postings here and then travelling to Kew to look at the actual documents rather than (potentially) wasting a lot of time starting to do the basic research at TNA itself which would not achieve anything more (though I note your comment on the paper catalogues).

Comment

One of the best things to do pre a visit to Kew is what has already been suggested, that is to look up the online catalogue, decide what you want and then order up 3 documents online so that when you go you have already three documents waiting for you. Better still, have about 12 documents you want to order and as soon as you get there order up the next 3, and you can keep going through the day without then having to waste time using their computer facilities. This does of course presuppose you do already have a ticket for Kew? If not then you will have to waste some time obtaining a relevant ticket before you can do anything, and I think this still has to be done at Kew.

Janet

Comment

You can pre-order up to 6 documents now before you go, but still only 3 at a time when you're there.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice, suggestions etc.

So actually for me at the moment, I may be better off at the LDS centre as Mary suggests. I am assuming however that the information I may find from them, is more than I can find online or do I travel to the other end of the country to look at records there.

I have a huge amount of info for my G.Grandfather post 1881, that I have found online and help and subsequent contact with newly found relatives, however before that nil. It is a long long story but I did have some suggestions when I featured on this sites WDYTYA, sadly no new information occured from this.

I am working on a hunch from newspaper reports in 19th century newspapers. Where I wonder if I can place him in a certain area... and this is a really long shot as I cannot be sure that this is my ancestors, but there are some coincidences. So my choice is sending off for lots (and I mean lots of marriage/death certs) or I filter parish records to narrow it down.

Once again thank you everyone.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

The LDS has microfilmed a huge number of parish records (much more than there is on the familysearch site), so you get to see the images of the original registers.

Have a look at their catalogue to see if they have the parishes you're interested in.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Once again. thank you Mary
                                Bubblebelle x

Comment

By the way, bear in mind that the amount of information on parish records depends on the date, but it's usually less than you'd get on a cert. You won't find fathers' names on most pre-1837 marriage records, for example, and baptisms won't normally have the mother's maiden name.

Comment

Fortunately I am looking for marriages in 1870's, so if readable tend to have info required. Then possible subsequent births and infant deaths and wife death.

I have checked LDS and it's a bit patchy where I am looking, but this seems to be a good place to start, if I can view them at Exeter, I may at least be able to eliminate some certs and you never know I may strike lucky.

A trip to TNA still sounds exciting at some point and I am sure that I will be able to find info there in relation to other branches of the family.
                                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                    X