deeds, Scotland,meaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deeds, Scotland,meaning

After Googling the names of a couple I am interested in I came upon the site of Fife fhs and the page entitled Cupar Deeds 1716-1862.
    This is the entry I am interested in,but do not know what it refers to.
    Wilkie,James;maltman and feuar in Kennoway,and Elizabeth Wilkie spouse of George Thom,miln wright in Nethertoun of Dunfirmline,Contract 30 Sep. 1773 (B13/7.4 Pp 86-89)
    Any ideas please?
    Fran

I´d guess it´s a property transaction.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you for your reply Uncle John.I presume the reference number would lead me to details of the full transaction,but I have no idea how to find it.
      Fran

Comment

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/deeds.asp Below is just a starter from this web site.

I would suggest you contact either Fife FHS and ask where the deeds are or National Archives for Scotland.

Hope this helps. Good luck

John
        What is a deed?

A deed is a legal agreement, obligation or other document registered with a court. This is sometimes done for safekeeping but is more usually done to establish the basis of a legal right before proceeding to a related legal action. In registering the deed, the person presenting it paid a fee to a court clerk who copied the document into the register and then kept the original document. This original document was called the warrant. While for most historical purposes the recorded version is satisfactory, the warrant will show the signatures of the parties to the deed. In some cases, the record volume has been destroyed or lost over the years and if the warrants survive, they can function as a substitute. In copying the document, many clerks also made a brief note of the entry in a quite separate minute book. These were kept to prove that they had done their work but they were also used as an index if records had to be retrieved. Modern searchers can use them in the same way. Once registered, the parties received certified extracts of the document.

Comment

Thank you very much Johnu,I have contacted Fife FHS but have not yet received a reply.Thank you also for the link. That is very interesting.
          Fran

Comment

Working...
          X