Who can crack this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can crack this one?

Looking for my Gt Grandfather Alfred Slade on the 1891 Census only.

I have found him on all Census records except for 1891 I have tried all different ways to try and locate the family without any success.

He was born in 1936 Soberton, Hampshire (I have his Christening from Soberton Parish Records) but as you can see from the Census records they give a variety of places where he was born!

1871 living in East Lulworth Dorset.

Alfred Slade 32 born Roos Hampshire
    Mary E Slade 25
    Alfred J Slade 4
    Anna Slade 2
    Mary Slade 2 Months

1881 Census living in Cromhall, Gloucestershire.

Alfred Slade 40 born Lulworth, Dorset, Gamekeeper.
    Mary E. Slade wife, 35 born Taunton
    Alfred J. Slade son 14
    Anna Slade dau 12
    Mary E. Slade dau 10
    Mary F. Slade dau 6
    Charles J. Slade son 4
    Mary E. Slade dau 2

1901 Census Horfield Bristol

Alfred Slade 64 born Corntfield, Monmouthshire, Wales
    Mary Emma Slade wife 55
    Chas Jos Slade 24 son
    Wm Perris 81 Father in Law
    Ann Perris 80

If anyone can find him on the 1891 census..... anywhere.... I shall be extremely grateful!
    teresa

sorry I give up tried all I can think of good luck

Comment

presumably you have looked for the Perris family? to see if they are with them/transcribed as Perris?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy on where Alfred was born, it is in 3 different places, can you confirm where he was born?

Comment

Originally posted by PDennis View Post
          There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy on where Alfred was born, it is in 3 different places, can you confirm where he was born?
          He was Christened in 1936, from the Soberton, Hampshire, Parish Records. His parents were married there too in 1830.
          teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            presumably you have looked for the Perris family? to see if they are with them/transcribed as Perris?
            Oh yes, done that!
            teresa

Comment

I thought he might have visited his brother Joseph Walter Slade in the States, but No!
              teresa

Comment

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I may be misunderstanding something here, but if he was christened in 1936 how can he be on the 1871 to 1901 census.

Comment

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I may be misunderstanding something here, but if he was christened in 1936 how can he be on the 1871 to 1901 census.
                  If you deduct the age at the various censuses, you end up with a variety of years, but also you'll see that 1936 is a typo for 1836.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry.... my typo error...should be 1836.
                    teresa

Comment

I've tried looking for Charles or Joseph b 1877±1 Dorset* with Alfred also in the house - without success. None of the "hits" gives a relevant-looking result. Since Charles J was at home 1881/1901, I was hoping he would be in 1891.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No joy with Mary b 1879±1, and same parameters, either.

Christine

Comment

So sorry drawn a blank, but in 1911...
                          Alfred 74
                          Mary Emma 64 - Dressmaker
                          Horfield, Bristol!!
                          Kind regards, Rachel
                          ukfamilyhistory

Comment

They're seriously elusive in 1891. I've tried all sorts of tricks, but none has worked, sorry.

Christine

Comment

I believe that there were some cases that families didn't get on or didn't want to be on some of the census', I have ancestors who are on the 1841 and all the rest from 1861 to 1911 but not on the 1851 census although they are living in the same area.

Bearing in mind the living conditions in certain cities at the time it could be that there was some shady goings on and they didn't want to be caught out.

Comment

I have spent quite some time searching all of the names mentioned with no luck either
                                Could they have been out of the Country or just travelling to another place on census night.

Edna

Comment

I did wonder if he was in Wales on 1891 Census, but couldn't find him there either!

Just out of interest check where he was living. Seems to me he gave his birth place as last place he lived.

1841 census – Alfred is living in West Lodge, Soberton, Hampshire with his father Thomas (a labourer) and mother Sarah, siblings Richard c.1832, Eliza c.1834, Emma c.1838 and Joseph aged 5 weeks.

1851 - Alfred is living in Westbury on Trym, Glos with his father Thomas (farm labourer) and step mother Elizabeth, sister Emma and half brother (William)Pester. His other brother Joseph Walter c.1841 is living in East Lulworth with his Aunt and Uncle, Hannah and George Kitcatt. No trace of his other brother Richard c.1832 or sister Eliza c.1834.

1861 - Alfred is living in lodgings in Weymouth and recorded as being 24, a gardener, and born in Westbury, Glos,

1871 - Alfred is living in East Lulworth with his wife and family aged 32, born in Roos, Hants., and is an engine driver at a saw mills

1881 -Alfred is living in Cromhall, Glos., aged 40, born in Lulworth, with wife and family and he is now a gamekeeper.

1891 - ????

1901 – Alfred is living at 11 Ashley Down Rd, Horfield, Bristol, aged 64 , birth place Corntfield, Monmouth.

1911 - Alfred is living at 26 Ashley Down Road Horfield Bristol, aged 74 born Courtfield, Monmouth

Thank you all for trying to find him on the 1891 census..perhaps his family was abducted by aliens!
                                  Have to admit the Courtfield, Monmouth bugs me a bit!
                                  teresa

Comment

Given the variation of birth place given are you sure this is the same man?
                                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                      Given the variation of birth place given are you sure this is the same man?
                                      Margaret
                                      I think that the sets of other family names and PoB make it unlikely that he's not the same person - unless teh wife keeps killing off her husbands and marrying people of the same name and age, but from different places ;)

Christine

Comment

I've had a look too, but can't find Alfred. I've tried searching for Charles Joseph with father Alfred and mother Mary, but found nothing, which leads me to think that the surname has been so badly mis-transcribed that it's going to be very hard to find. I've tried searching for Slate and Salt, as well, but no luck so far. Sorry not to be more helpful.
                                        Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
                                        X