Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all those genealogists led down the wrong path by the living!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all those genealogists led down the wrong path by the living!!!!

Dear all,

My mum told me she had an uncle Bob, she swore to the fact. He had a son called Roy. After years of searching for this mysterious uncle Bob I decided to do a search for Roy. Well I found him today, his mothers maiden name was Davidge. "Yes my mum said that is who uncle Bob married I remember now, Nan used to call her the girl Davidge, her name was Alice" Yes I said that is correct, the thing is uncle Bob's real name is........ERNEST SIDNEY, no wonder I couldn't find him. then of course when I searched for his birth and death it all fitted in with what mum knew of uncle Bob!!! LOL
    KAREN xx

makes you laugh doesn't it ??? I was looking for a Waggy for years till I found he died in the second world war and the one they called Waggy was Henry who died years later.
    I have lost count of the nick names people use, even a friend who I have always known as Jack turned out to be a Trevor ?

Comment

I've had a few like that.

Think I might be quilty of leading people astray with my parents headstone. It says Tom and Rose Txxxxs etc. Only thing is my dad was Benjamin Jack and known as Jack and my mum was Adelaide Rosetta, known as Rose. To make matters worse for future researchers, there is no marriage as my dad couldn't get a divorce from his 1st wife and my birth certificate gives my mum's maiden name the same as my dads.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post

Think I might be quilty of leading people astray with my parents headstone. It says Tom and Rose Txxxxs etc. Only thing is my dad was Benjamin Jack and known as Jack and my mum was Adelaide Rosetta, known as Rose. To make matters worse for future researchers, there is no marriage as my dad couldn't get a divorce from his 1st wife and my birth certificate gives my mum's maiden name the same as my dads.
        LOL Wendy that is going to be a minefield for future genealogists!!
        KAREN xx

Comment

One of my brother's friends is always called Henry, but his real name is Philip. I've known him for around 40 years & have only just discovered it. Turns out Henry is his nickname because he used to play football like Henry Newton (formerly Nottm Forest.....well, that's men for you)

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post

So where does the Tom come from Wendy??

When I was a kid, we called mum's best friend and her husband 'Aunty Mary' and 'Uncle Jerry'. I only discovered when I grew up that Uncle Jerry was actually called Donald Edward!
            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

My Dad was called Tom because of his surname. He was known as Jack as a child and young man as his dad was also Benjamin, but I always knew him being called Tom by his friends.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh, I see now Wendy. Thought it was a typo at first LOL!
                Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I was the same, my Dads brother was always "uncle Reggie"...i looked for ever to find Reginald's birth..........turns out he was my Dads "HALF" brother and his name was REDVERS BULLER..........:D

My other uncle was Danny.......yes okay, i looked for Daniel.......NO.... his name was BENEDICT CECIL......:D
                  Jacky

Comment

One of my Dad's brothers was called Flip.
                    Ah, Phillip I thought.
                    Wrong!
                    Of course his name was William Keith
                    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 07-01-11, 17:44.
                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Or you can spend many hours working out relationships as so many people in a small area share names, you tell your auntie about some "new" second cousins and find out that she was in touch with them for years but never thought to mention them.

Comment

Dread to think what they called themselves when they didn't WANT to be found!

Comment

My dad's cousin was baptised David Leslie.
                          In his late teens (1950's), when he and his friends frequented bars etc, he found that a high proportion were called David/Dave and when his name was called many people would reply 'what?'.
                          He decided to start using the name Eddie around his friends and to this day, everyone including work etc, call him Eddie

Researching:
                          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Mum's step BIL was always known as Bert. I found out from his obit notice that his real name was Ferderick

Dad always told me that his aunt had a middle name of Irene, but he didn't know why she never used it. The ONLY mention of Irene anywhere in connection with her name (including all bmd certs) is in the family bible where here wedding is recorded. Funny thing is - you'd have though her mother would have known better.
                            Barbara

Comment

My grandpa was Bob - Cecil Alfred Herbert he was registered as, and his siblings were Bill (well he WAS William), Tom (Arthur Edmond Richard), Dick (Edith Elsie), and Kit (Laura Alice Marjory).

My husbands grandmother was Ruth, but for all her married life her husbands family called her JEAN, for no known reason ! (And she always answered, apparently) - bet that will cause some confusion for researchers on THEIR side of the family.

Di
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia
                              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

lol, where do they come up with these? my gran swore blind she had an aunt nina, prounced nine-a. she said nina had a granddaughter my grans age, and gave me name and place of birth. well i traced this lady, and turns out her grandmother was lorraine or lorreina maud, and she was my great grandmother's sister!

another branch used nicknames: dick (john richard), harry (thomas henry), daisy (edith rose), mimi (marian emma), pansy (catherine frances), and lucy (caroline lucy). took ages trying to sort those out!

Comment

I grew up knowing my aunts husband as uncle Mick, only to find out when i started doing my tree his name was Isaac, no Mick or Michael in sight.
                                  Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                                  Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                                  Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Great Aunt Kit .... or Kitty in her youth .... my family insisted that was her name, or at least, she was not known by any other. After years of fruitless search for Kit, Kitty, Christine and any other name that could possibly be shortened to Kitty, she turned up in 1911 ........... as Emmeline Amelia. *sigh*

Comment

LOL I KNEW I would not be alone!! thanks for sharing all your experiences
                                      KAREN xx

Comment

My MIL always said she had twin brothers Roy and Royston, after lots of searching (after she had died) she did had a brother Roy but Royston (who wasn't even the same age, was the son of her Dad's second wife, so was her step brother. Strangest thing is, the new wife and Royston didn't come into the picture till MIL was 15. So where the twins bit came from we'll never know now. How frustrating

Very fanciful thinking lol

Linda
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X