Anybody Familiar with Italian Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Familiar with Italian Names

Maria Tomaselli B cropped.jpgValentine Tomasello M cropped.jpgGeorge Arthur Miller M 1 cropped.jpgI am still a bit worried I have connected the wrong people ?
    So can somebody look at these images please ????
    Marriage Cert
    George Arthur Miller 28 Sep 1935 marries
    Marietta Tomaselli aged 27 Father Valentine Tomaselli an Ice Cream Vendor
    Birth Cert
    Maria Tomaselli 5 Jun 1908 Father Valentino Tomaselli a Labourer at a Zinc Factory Mother
    Josephina Tomaselli formerly Firara?

Marriage Cert
    Valentino Tomasello 2 Jul 1906 an Ice Cream Vendor to
    Pepina Swar??
    Is Josephina a Italian version of Josephina??
    I have in 1911
    Valentino Tomaselli a Lead Worker Italian
    Josephine Wife
    Rosie 1908 London
    Mary 1909 London think this is Marietta /Maria
    James 1911 London
    Both Marriages took place in the same same Church
    Thanks

Looks like Marietta Tomaselli and George Arthur Miller to me Val
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

thanks Jen but what I meant was are the certs the same family , ie Josephina Pepina ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]15269[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15270[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15268[/ATTACH]I am still a bit worried I have connected the wrong people ?
        So can somebody look at these images please ????

Is Josephina a Italian version of Josephina??
        I have in 1911

Did you mean to ask if Pepina is an italian version of Josephina? I suppose it could be a "pet name" for Josephina. But the maiden surname is different as well though isn't it, as well as Valentino's occupation changing, so I'd want to search the census in case there was a second Valentino Tomaselli before I linked the the two records.
        Last edited by JudithM; 07-01-11, 14:30.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks Judith yes I did and also on Marias Birth Cert Mothers surname seems to be Firara not Swar as on the Marriage Cert?

Comment

Marriage Cert
            Valentino Tomasello 2 Jul 1906 an Ice Cream Vendor to
            Pepina Swar??
            Pepina SWAN :smilee:
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Now Julie dont try to confuse me even further , is it really Swan ??? ugh ugh ugh isn't that an odd Surname for an Italian ?? I think I shall have to send for a couple of Death Certs after all
              thanks all

Comment

it certainly looks like SWAN to me, though Pepina might be a pet form of Josephina? / Phina/Pepina? I was looking to see if I could find another marriage but my searchig isnt exactly helping today..
                Julie

Comment

I finally found a good Italian Name site and it seems Pepina quite often is Josephine so that sorts that one , but does not explain Firara Surname on the Birth of Maria, and Swan/Swar on Pepinas Marriage ????

Comment

have you found Pepina/josephine before her marriage Val?
                    Julie

Comment

no Julie have a feeling after going through the Census records both must have migrated here between 1901 and the marriage in 1906 ?
                      Think this is her Death
                      Marietta Carmella R Tomaselli 1970 in Brent Birth 8 Jan 1885
                      which would be where the Daughter Marietta gets her name from ???
                      All these name changes ??

Comment

Filled with practical advice that will help anyone obtain the information they seek through Italian records, Italian Genealogical Records is a comprehensive guide to the complexities and nuances of what could otherwise be a daunting task. In this book, the author discusses the history and development of Italian record keeping, providing reproductions of typical records and a complete translation and thorough explanation of each. Among the many other topics covered in this book are the significance of Italian surnames and the relevance of Italian noble families in the search for Italian ancestors.

Put this into your favourites as you may need it in the future

Edna

Comment

thanks Edna looks interesting ?

Comment

would there be records of their sailing to the uk Val? passenger lists etc?
                            Julie

Comment

Hi Val,

I suspect the surname should be Ferara. Peppina is a shotened name for Giuseppina (no letter 'J' in the Italian alphabet). I have Italian connections and have never come across Firara as a surname. I too suspect Swan/Swar is incorrect as there's no 'W' either in their alphabet. Of course she could have been born into an Anglo/Italian family.

Comment

Just confirming what Susan says, although the surname should probaby be Ferrara (which is also the name of a town in Italy.

Josephina isn't an Italian name; it's the anglicised version of Giuseppina (Giuseppe = Joseph, Giuseppina = Josephine).

Comment

Yes, Mary, Ferrara is a town and a very attractive one too!

I did wonder if Valentino misunderstood the question when he was asked his wife's surname? Maybe instead he answered giving her birth place; I assume he wasn't literate as he has left his mark on the certificate.

That could possibly answer why Giuseppina's name appears to begin with 'S' on the marriage cert. What do you think, Mary? I have stared long and hard at the image but cannot make out any Italian surname familiar to me; also Michele's surname doesn't look at all like Swan!

Comment

I've blown up the image and it looks a little like SUSAN, there is an Italian surname Suzani.

Maybe I'm just clutching at straws!!!!

Comment

for the record there is a family tree in 1827 in Godalming,Surrey of a family named SWAR ....
                                      1733 in Lancaster for SWAR
                                      1681 in London for SWAR
                                      am I missing something here ...why did we shy away from SWAR ?......allan
                                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                        for the record there is a family tree in 1827 in Godalming,Surrey of a family named SWAR ....
                                        1733 in Lancaster for SWAR
                                        1681 in London for SWAR
                                        am I missing something here ...why did we shy away from SWAR ?......allan

Hi Allan,

Because according to the 1911 census info she was born in Italy and there's no letter 'W' in the Italian alphabet.

Comment

Working...
                                        X