Australian help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian help please

I have Thomas EAST being convicted at Oxford Assises in Feb/Mar 1824. At first he was sentenced to death but this appears to have been changed to transportation for life. I've found the relevant 19C newspaper cuttings.

I can find him on Ancestry on the Ganymeade hulk with a note that he was transported in July 1825. I can see him being transported to Van Dieman's Land........ However I don't have Worldwide Ancestry membership to see the other records which appear to be for him.

Pretty please is anyone able to help? I'm trying to work out which Thomas East he might be!

Anne (I'll be back when I've done the tea!)

I think you should have a look here:

I'm pretty certain that his record is there!
    When you get there, it looks like image 258 of 290.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-01-11, 18:08.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are also references - a number - to him on the Trove site. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-01-11, 18:24.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you so much Christine! I never knew such riches existed having never had any need to look for them!

It appears Thomas was given leave to marry Sarah Watson in 1832 and given an absolute pardon in 1841. There is more than one Thomas East but they are identified by the ship on which they were transported!

Still don't know which Thomas from Oxfordshire or around it was!

Anne

Comment

I thought you'd be pleased! I know I would have been, if he'd been mine.

I started finding out about Australian materials at first in order to help with my niece's tree, but then I found that some of my mother's side branches who has disappeared, had actually emigrated to Australia.

It might be worth a look in their National Archives, too, because they have free images there, too. http://www.naa.gov.au/

And this might be useful, too: http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm/fa...g_family_trees

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-01-11, 20:13.

Comment

Working...
          X