Can anyone help me find Ellen Eliza Blagden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me find Ellen Eliza Blagden

I wonder if anyone can help me find more information about my great great grandmother, Ellen Eliza Blagden as she seems to be the most mysterious person on my tree!

I believe she was born abt 1852/3 in Polesworth Warwickshire (this info from 1881 & 1891 census) but can't find her on the birth index.

She lived with my great great grandfather John Wake, in Rotherham, Yorkshire but not sure if they actually married, as can't find any marriage record on the index or parish records.

Their children all born in Rotherham (Harriet Mary, William, Henry, John Thomas, Lily, Alice, Florence, & Robert) have both names on the baptism records, eg Harriet Mary Blagden Wake b 1875 (my gramdmother)
    She is on some baptism & census records as Ellen Wake and some as Ellen E Blagden.

Their last son Robert Blagden Wake was born in 1893 and John is a widower on 1911 census, but I can't find any record of her death or burial. (She isn't in buried in the grave with John, or any of her children)

John is at home with his parents in Rotherham on 1871 census, but is listed as married, but no luck finding Ellen.

So I need to find the family in 1901, her birth, her on the 1861, & 1871 census and her death record, possibly a marriage too.

Any help is much appreciated, or even ideas on where I could try looking

Thanks Bev
    Last edited by Bev Nicholes; 05-01-11, 16:55. Reason: additional information

Hi Bev,

Having looked, this is a very unusual name.

Could this be her marrying someone else?

Name: Ellen Eliza Blagden
    Marriage: Sep 1907 - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Unfortunately there are only three names on the page!
    KAREN xx

Comment

If you can find Charles Ernest PROUDLOVE or John Hicken WALKER in 1911, you might get a clue.

Charles is with wife, Easter Fanny, in 1911, so Ellen Eliza must have married John Hicken WALKER.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-01-11, 17:20.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a Ellen Blagden (17) on the 1871 with her parents John and Sarah in Nottingham. She's shown as born in New Basford.
        Class: RG10; Piece: 3236; Folio: 81; Page: 28;
        and on the 1861 census with her parents
        Class: RG9; Piece: 2458; Folio: 32; Page: 19;
        Last edited by keldon; 05-01-11, 17:21.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I believe she was born abt 1852/3 in Polesworth Warwickshire (this info from 1881 & 1891 census) but can't find her on the birth index.
          That would be Atherstone District, according to GenUKI. The Warwick BMD coverage for births gives: Atherstone 1837 to 2002
          But there's no sign of a BLAGDEN called Ellen. Perhaps she was never registered - worth a look for a baptism? (Nothing in the basic IGI)

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That is what I was thinking Christine, as births did not need to be registered until 1875. Have also looked for a birth but been unsuccessful!
            KAREN xx

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, I will check out your suggestions, but I am struggling to find them on the 1911 census

Anyone had any luck finding the family in 1901, as wondering if she is still living with the family.

Bev

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                There's a Ellen Blagden (17) on the 1871 with her parents John and Sarah in Nottingham.
                This may tie into my tree, because I seem to remember that one of my ancestors from Nottingham married a Clara Blagden. Off to have a look.

Comment

Just found John & Sarah on the 1891 census and found Ellen their daughter is living at home, so can't be my Ellen. As she is in Rotherham with John Wake on the 1891 census, so back to searching.....or banging my head :(

Comment

Ah, pity. I've just had a quick look at my Blagdens; my Clara is the cousin of that Ellen (daughter of John and Sarah), and their family was in Notts from 1841. John's father George was from Manchester. Can't see a Rotherham/Sheffield connection so far.

Comment

Thanks for looking Mary

Comment

As John is shown as married in 1871 but Ellen isn't with him, I wonder if he married someone else, which is why he didn't marry her?

Marriages Dec 1868
                        Brown Ann Sheffield 9c 467
                        WAKE John Sheffield 9c 467
                        Wood Emma Henriett Sheffield 9c 467

Comment

Got them finally in 1901, mistranscribed as Wade. Still in Kimberworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            As John is shown as married in 1871 but Ellen isn't with him, I wonder if he married someone else, which is why he didn't marry her?

Marriages Dec 1868
                            Brown Ann Sheffield 9c 467
                            WAKE John Sheffield 9c 467
                            Wood Emma Henriett Sheffield 9c 467
                            The other potential groom was John STONES

Christine

Comment

Thank you so much Mary, just had a look and found they'd had another daughter too
                              and thank you Christine, will investigate those marriages in the morning
                              Last edited by Bev Nicholes; 06-01-11, 15:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X