Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland

I have been trying to find Thomas Johnstone - 1911 census when he was living in Oakham, Rutland, shows he was born in Whitequarries, Linlithgowshire, Scotland. His year of birth is given as 1870 and, according to his marriage certificate, his father's name was George - occupation Foreman. Thomas's occupation in Oakham was groom domestic. He was married to Ann Charlotte Dunn @ Oakham on 14 April 1895. Any help or advice would be very gratefully received. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by born in a pub; 05-01-11, 10:50.

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I am going to move your thread over to our Research Qs and As forum where hopefully some of our members may be able to help.
    Elaine

Comment

Not quite sure what sort of thing you are looking for, but I can see on Ancestry an entry in the 1891 census which may be relevant:

Household:
      George Johnstone 33, occupation farm servant
      Mary Johnstone 32
      Joan Johnstone 12
      Thomas Johnstone 10 born Bathgate, Linlithgow
      Elizabeth Johnstone 8
      James Johnstone 3
      Margaret Johnstone 6
      Isabella Johnstone 1

address: Claylands Cot Houses, Ratho, Midlothian
      Census ref: Parish: Ratho; ED: 4; Page: 2; Line: 2; Roll: cssct1881_301; Year: 1881.

You should be able to find Thomas' birth certificate on Scotlands People
      Elaine

Comment

This could be the baptism of the Thomas Johnstone in the 1881 census

Thomas Johnston
        Born 28 Feb 1871, Bathgale, West Lothian
        Father - George Johnston
        Mother - Mary Ann Mclean

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11662-1
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 6035516
        Source: FamilySearch

I've looked on google maps and cannot pinpoint Whitequarries - any idea where it is?
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine

Thank you for your reply. No! I don't know where Whitequarries is - that is part of the problem.

Previously, on familysearch.org I had found Thomas Johnston born 1871 but until I can find out where/what Whitequarries is, I feel I am stuck. On previous census details Thomas his birthplace was West Lothian. 1911 was the first time Whitequarries was mentioned.

Also on familysearch.org on their beta site I have found Thomas Johnstone (with an e) with a birth date of 1870, birthplace Tradeston, Glasgow. This seems to fit it more with the year and also the correct spelling of surname. If you are able to find this on the census, this may be of help to me - especially if George is on with an occupation of Foreman.

Many thanks again.

Thanks!

Comment

Found this one in 1871

George Johnston c1842 Spath, Haddingtonshire - occ Foreman Carter
            M Johnston c1834 Anwoth, Kirkcudbrightshire
            Thomas Johnston age 9 months - born Govan, Lanarkshire

Address: 22 Salisbury St
            Registration district - Tradeston
            Civil Parish - Glasgow Govan

Ref: Glasgow Govan; ED: 21; Page: 4; Line: 19; Roll: CSSCT1871_139; Year: 1871.
            Elaine

Comment

There is a White Quarries Industrial Estate in Broxburn, Linlithgow - possible?

OC

Comment

Try a site called Scotlandsplaces - it gives a few results -*Edit to add Whitequarries*- one is for a reference to a farm and you can click on the map to see where it is but is in the correct general area, I think.
                It doesn't get a result for an actual village/town etc
                Last edited by herky; 05-01-11, 13:12.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Same family in 1891

Household:
                  George Johnstone 49 born Spatt - occ Farmer
                  Mary Johnstone 58 born Anworth
                  Thomas Johnstone 20 born Glasgow - occ farmer's son
                  George Johnstone 18 born Glasgow
                  Robert Hanley 14

address Ringour Farm, Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire
                  Kells; ED: 3; Page: 4; Line: 16; Roll: CSSCT1891_401; Year: 1891.

Originally posted by born in a pub View Post
                  On previous census details Thomas his birthplace was West Lothian
                  Can you tell us on which censuses you have found Thomas.
                  Elaine

Comment

Have just seen a Thomas Johnstone in the 1891 England census living in Rutland, with place of birth as West Lothian.
                    Class: RG12; Piece: 2548; Folio 26; Page 22; GSU roll: 6097658.
                    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...853&recoff=1+2

If this your man then the 1871/1891 family that I have found in Scotland cannot be the right one.
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes, Elaine, this is one and the same Thomas Johnstone.

1891 census shows him living in Cemetary Road, Oakham, as a lodger, with other Scottish born, eg James Reid, aged 20, ie born 1871 from East Lothian, George Colley, aged 20 born 1871 from Fettercairn, Kincardineshire - all with the same occupation Groom Domestic Servant.

Also there were Elizabeth Barton, aged 33 (1858), (wife to Thomas Barton, head of household), was born in Saddell, Argyleshire, as was Elizabeth's daughter Isabella, born in 1886. Elizabeth also had a son, born 1888 born in Cranston, Mid-Lothian

All in all, a strong Scottish connection.

Anyway, back to Thomas - it looks as if it is back to the drawing board (or alternatively, banging my head against a brick wall)!

Some additional information, Thomas died in Oakham in 1953. Also, one of his 10 children listed his name as Thomas Clarence Johnstone. This is the only time the name Clarence has come up.
                      Last edited by born in a pub; 05-01-11, 12:48.

Comment

Don't suppose the witnesses on his marriage certificate are of any help - ? family members.
                        Elaine

Comment

Witnesses were John William Dunn and Lizzie Mary Dunn, Thomas's wife's brother and sister - so, unfortunately, no help there.

Comment

Elaine

Thank you for your reply. No! I don't know where Whitequarries is - that is part of the problem.

Previously, on familysearch.org I had found Thomas Johnston born 1871 but until I can find out where/what Whitequarries is, I feel I am stuck. On previous census details Thomas his birthplace was West Lothian. 1911 was the first time Whitequarries was mentioned.

Also on familysearch.org on their beta site I have found Thomas Johnstone (with an e) with a birth date of 1870, birthplace Tradeston, Glasgow. This seems to fit it more with the year and also the correct spelling of surname. If you are able to find this on the census, this may be of help to me - especially if George is on with an occupation of Foreman.

Many thanks again.

Thanks!

Hi,

does this help?

Whitequarries, Winchburgh, which is West Lothian/Edinburgh area
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think it's likely to be the name of a farm. I have several similar ones in Northumberland. You'll need to locate an old map of West Lothian (pre-1945), because there's been a huge amount of change in the last 50+ years. Livingston New Town for a start, plus large-scale redevelopment of the old coal and oil-shale mining areas. I've had a punt round Streetmap http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...+West+Lothian+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf but nothing stands out.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Darksecretz

Thank you for this info. However, I am still no further forward as I have only been able to find
                                1) Thomas Johnston (without the e) born/baptised Feb 1871 Bathgate, West Lothian
                                2) Thomas Johnstone born/baptised July 1870 Tradeston, Glasgow, Lanark.

Uncle John
                                There doesn't appear to be a Thomas Johnstone born @ Whitequarries, Linlithgowshire.

Comment

i think you could spend the credits on those two? i think theyre just general areas or districts, the parents may match up if you spend the credits?

Comment

kylejustin

How do I match the parents up if the only information I have is that his father's name was George?

Comment

Is there anyway I can find out which areas/parishes etc. are part of Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland?

Comment

Is there anyway I can find out which areas/parishes etc. are part of Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland?
                                        There are lots of maps of Scotland online which should help. E.g. the National Library of Scotland website.

There are also some links to maps on our Scotland page in the Reference Liibrary.

And:

Caroline
                                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                        X