Not much to go on...trying to trace someone in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much to go on...trying to trace someone in the USA

I'm trying to find out who someone was who contacted my father's cousun in the late 1960s (none of the family stll alive that I know have the details). She was then retired & living in Florida (so would definitely be dead now). She said she had been born with the surname Asher but had been married several times. So I don't know if she was then using the surname Asher or not & whether she had been born in Florida or not.

I guess the first step would be looking for Asher births & deaths in Florida.

This is obviously a longshot, so any tips for making it any easier would be most welcome. I do know of one member of my Asher family who emigrated to Florida in 1840, but, as far as I can see (& I have the details from his grave etc), he died a single man without children....he could, of course, have had illegitimate children I don't know about who took his name:p

Have you tried the SSDI? There are several sites where it's free - so I never quite know why some sites charge for it.

Chrisitne
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine.....you know you're dealing with a thickie....what is SSDI, please ?

Comment

Social Security Death Index.

I usually use this site: http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/ssdi

This is another: http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

This link tells you about it, and where it can be found: http://www.eogen.com/SocialSecurityDeathRecords

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you very much

(resolves to write it out 500 times)

Comment

I was able to obtain a photocopy of the SS5 application in 1936 of Leonard Keith BENNETT. That was enough to make it extremely likely that he was my grandfather: a close match of signature to his marriage cert of 1911, plus the parents' names and places and DoB (except for the year) which matched the tree I'd worked out as the most likely.

The info about the last payment also gave me the correct State from which to obtain his death certificate.

Christine

Comment

Working...
            X