Marriage Banns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Banns

After putting the tree away for over a year I decided to sign up again with Ancestry and continue with the search. Within 10 minutes and thanks to the new records that have been added since i was last a member I found the marriage banns on the 17th April 1864 between a William Hogg and a Matilda Smith. They went on to have 7 children including my great grandmother. I still cannot find a marriage for them though. Why have the banns and not get married??
    KAREN xx

Were they both of the same parish?
    Have you checked that the parish(es) is/are included in the records on Ancestry, and for the time you want?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Jay,

The record was on Ancestry:

William Hogg
      Spouse Name: Matilda Smith
      Record Type: Banns
      Marriage Bann Date: 17 Apr 1864
      Parish: St Mary at Lambeth
      County: Surrey
      Borough: Lambeth

looking at the original it says they are both of the parish. I have been trawling records all afternoon but cannot find the marriage. I know both there fathers names so the marriage is not too important for me but I like to have all the pieces of the puzzle!! i cannot fathom why they had the banns read and then didn't get married!!

Oh Duh I have just realised what you mean by checking to see if they have the records I want!! Will try and figure out how to do that. thanks Jay
      Last edited by Fuzzy; 04-01-11, 18:17. Reason: additional text
      KAREN xx

Comment

I can't see their marriage on freeBMD or FMP (a separate transcription) - very odd.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I guess it's possible that someone actually stood up, when the banns were called, with a reason why they couldn't get married - but they decided to live together anyway!

Any chance that either was already married?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Scuda,

Mmmm It is a mystery that will remain unsolved I think. Strange thing is their daughter my great grandmother does not appear on the marriage records either, but there are no banns for them.

thanks so much for you time in looking I do appreciate it.
            xx
            KAREN xx

Comment

Hi Christine,

LOL didn't think of that! they are both listed as being single BUT he was 30 so maybe he did have wife somewhere!
              KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                Hi Christine,

LOL didn't think of that! they are both listed as being single BUT he was 30 so maybe he did have wife somewhere!
                By the time he got to Detroit my grandfather was "single" - notwithstanding a wife and two sons back in England! He was also six years younger than you'd have expected for someone born in 1887. ;)

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Please remember that it was not compulsory to register marriages in England until 1875.

Also rather than looking at Ancestory I suggest you look at source documents as a lot of online services have errors and omissions in their indexes.

Comment

Johnu

Sorry to correct you, but it has been compulsory to register marriages, since 1837. The onus was on the person performing the marriage to report it to the civil authority.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Johnu View Post
                      Please remember that it was not compulsory to register marriages in England until 1875.
                      Surely that applies to births but not marriages. Marriages had to appear in the register of either the church or register office where they took place so in that sense it was "compulsory" to register them. William and Matilda don't show up on the GRO indexes, though it is possible for an entry not to reach the indexes, but Ancestry has the images of the marriage register for the church where these banns were read and the marriage doesn't appear to be there.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 04-01-11, 19:21. Reason: original was ambiguous
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Ooooh Christine the swine!!

I have several ladies claiming to be widows whilst their husbands are living elsewhere with other women!
                        KAREN xx

Comment

I think you will find that the record that was being viewed is a copy of the orginal parish register from the LMA: London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921.

Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Tis a true mystery eh Judith. Thank you for you time in looking I appreciate it. xx
                            KAREN xx

Comment

Hi Caroline,

Yes that is correct. It is the original parish record. It is very strange that they never seemed to make it to the altar as they are not in the GRO indexes. Think maybe Christine has a point and someone stood up and said "hey this man cannot marry as he is already married"!! He was 30 at the time so perhaps he was already married. He did go on to have 7 children with matilda though
                              KAREN xx

Comment

MMMMmm Perhaps you have hit the nail on the head OC, perhaps the person performing the marriage never reported it to the Authorities so therefore did not make it onto the GRO index!
                                KAREN xx

Comment

Fuzzy

But it should still be recorded in the church register, if it took place.

It might be worth checking the Bishop's Transcripts if you can. From my own experience, parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts don't always match!

OC

Comment

Are there BTs for marriages post 1837???
                                    I thought they ceased once a record of marriages had to be sent to the local registrar (as opposed to bp & burials, which were "church" business rather than "civil.")

No doubt someone will be able to clarify.
                                    Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet

I assume there ARE still Bishop's Transcripts after 1837 as they are a sort of annual stocktaking of events which are being reported to HO, lol!

I would imagine that any church would still think the record of a marriage as primarily being their business, albeit business which has to be reported to state authorities.

But I don't KNOW........!

OC

Comment

Browsing the images of BTs on the new FamilySearch site, I have found that there were certainly a number of years where marriages were not included in the ones I looked at: just baptisms and burials.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X