Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doubtful in disability column, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubtful in disability column, any ideas?

Hello.

Please could I have some other opinions on this regarding the 1871 census.

William German, born Ashby De La Zouch in 1835 and living at Measham Lodge.

In the end column it looks as though "doubtful" has been written. Does anyone agree with this and can anyone think what it might mean?

He was obviously capable as he took over the family home and business after his father died, and none of the other census have anything written in the disabilities column.

Many thanks for looking,

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Definitely says doubtful.
    How strange!
    Joy

Comment

I wondered if this referred to the birthplace, but that doesn't make any sense either*. Baffling!

* I once found an elderly woman whose birthplace in the transcription was "Woodmancottbadlegge". When I looked at the image it said "Woodmancote" in the where born column and "bad legs" in the disability column!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Like Nell, I wondered if it meant he was doubtful about his place of birth.

Comment

I'm doubtful about quite a few of my ancestors!!!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Seems very strange.

He was born in Ashby de la Zouch and I read this place of birth as Ashby Old Parks which is a place in Ashby de la Zouch.

Guess we will never know. Maybe with a surname like German, the enumerator thought he had come from Germany? (clutching at straws now ;))

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
            X