what does this mean on Marriage cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does this mean on Marriage cert

George Dennis Bennett age 45 marrying Fanny Knight in 1917 Occupation Gunner B7A Australia ?

does this mean he is in the Australian Army ???? as I am trying to find him before the Marriage and their Deaths .
    Only found him in 1881 in Camberwell with his Parents Robert A Bennett a Stone mason and Wife Fanny

thanks very much

it isnt B7A Val, its RFA Royal Field Artillery I think. so it'd read, Gunner, Royal Field Artillery, Australia.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

So probably does mean that he was in the Aus army.. though I wouldnt stake my life on it, as not sure whether he'd be stationed in the UK at that time
      Julie

Comment

oh thanks Julie so he is in the Australian Amy then ? wonder if they went there after the Marriage then? thanks

Comment

oops posted together thanks again

Comment

might be an idea to see if you can find him going out to Aus sometime before to join up? not sure whether they keep records of enlistments like they do here. but it certainly does look like it says Australia under the Gunner RFA though
            Julie

Comment

good idea thanks Julie

Comment

Val the Australian Army WW1 service records are free to view on the Australian National Archives site. There is a George Dennis Bennett there who may be your man. I had a quick look and it doesn't mention a marriage but he was in England on and off throughout the war. You can search from here

Jackie

Comment

oh Jackie you are great thanks so much off to have a Nosey

Comment

it is him and had quite a shock when I got to the last pages it said his date of Death which is what I have been looking for , did not expect to see that there , seems he died in 1949 .
                    Must say had a little laugh to myself as it said discharged because of Overage and Asthma , I was wondering what Overage was lol
                    Thanks very much Jackie

Comment

:D You're welcome Val. Did Fanny go back to Australia with him?
                      Jackie

Comment

oooh I'm so glad that you found it Val/Jackie :smilee: have been trying to get me new puter up and running... though have a few things installed now
                        Julie

Comment

Julie I had to take my Laptop back to its factory settings still have not got all the stuff back I had ,took forever to download the anti virus and stuff .
                          Jackie I dont know where he died it just says a date but I have not found that yet ? and as for Fanny who knows ??????
                          I've just been copying all 32 pages of the records ugh .
                          Also found it interesting a man born in Surrey is down as a Miner ???

Comment

well, I'm hoping that this wont take forever to get set up how I like it, though trying to get some stuff to work under windows 7 is proving a little bit tricky
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              Also found it interesting a man born in Surrey is down as a Miner ???
                              Perhaps that's what he was doing in Australia. I think he may have lied about his age when he enlisted because he'd aged a bit by the time he got married.

Julie - I got Windows 7 last year and most things were OK although I had to download patches for my printer and scanner. The thing I missed most was a photo editing freebie I got with the scanner which I couldn't get to work, and my FTM 2005.
                              Jackie

Comment

hmmn tell me about it with FTM 2005 not a happy bunny... I do have 2009 and have installled that, but I dont really like it.
                                Julie

Comment

Val - a couple of things - did you find his British Army records on FMP - he's recorded as just George Bennett - 13th Hussars - born 1872

Also a George Dennis Bennett appears on electoral rolls in Queensland from 1925 - 1949 in Beerburrum (Sunshine Coast hinterland near the Glasshouse Mountains) as initially a farmer - then a fruitgrower - Fanny is listed until the 1943 edition - but appears to have died 25th March 1944

Cheers
                                  Sue

Comment

Fanny's presumed departure for Australia in 1918 shows up in a FMP passenger lists search too

Cheers
                                    Sue

Comment

oh cheers Sue no I hadnt found them, thanks very much

Comment

Working...
                                      X