WW1 Military Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Military Service

Can anyone please help me. Two of my family served in the forces during ww1. Philip Taylor of Budds Farm, Aston le Walls Northamptonshire, joined 21 Alberta Hussars on 12th January 1915. I would like to know how I can find out how he came to be in Canada, and what happened to him after 1915. Any ideas on how I can proceed will be greatly appreciated. Also his brother John Thomas Taylor of Budds Farm, Aston le Walls, Northamptonshire enlisted in Northamptonshire Regiment in Northampton 26 Jan 1917. How can I find out what happened to him after this date.

john's records may be on ancestry. im not sure about canadian army records. have you googled for them? you may be able to find them, or maybe find out where they can be obtained.

Comment

Have you got copies of their Attestation Papers from this site http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...2-100.01-e.php ? Have you looked for them on passenger lists and the Canadian Census?
      Margaret

Comment

Google to the National Archives, if you have their service numbers you can get a readout of their service history. Not sure about Canada!!

Comment

Looks like you can order the full files for the records you find on the site I have mentioned. That might give more information as to what happened.
          Margaret

Comment

One of my Yorkshire born ag labs served in the Canadian forces during WW1 and was killed in action.

We found his attestation paper online & wondered what he was doing in Canada. We later found him on a pre-war passenger list, but there was still the mystery of why he went.
            An interview with a relative threw up the answer - her uncle had said a baby was on the way, Arthur hadn't wanted to marry the mother, so had scarpered off to Canada. Uncle was able to supply a name for the child and it appears the rumour could well have been correct!

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Gordon
              Just to let you know I only got your PM yesterday and replied asking for more info.
              Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Working...
              X